Breaking News
Nagaland Post Logo
You are here:  Skip Navigation LinksHome » Show story
Setback to reconciliation, NSCN (I-M) offensive in Myanmar casts shadow over meet
Published on 3 Mar. 2011 12:30 AM IST
Print  Text Size

Three days after the FNR cautioned that any one/group opting out of Naga reconciliation would be answerable to the Nagas, the GPRN/NSCN & NNC/FGN announced that they would not participate at the forthcoming highest level summit because of the ongoing military offensive and several past instances of violation of the Covenant of Reconciliation (COR) by NSCN (I-M).
GPRN/NSCN & NNC/FGN, the two of the three signatories of the COR have sought for deferment of the highest level summit until military offensive and territorial expansion missions were called off by NSCN (I-M).
Both however reaffirmed that their faith in genuine Naga reconciliation under the aegis of FNR remained undiminished.
MIP GPRN/NSCN and Rali Wali NNC/FGN in a joint statement, also pointed out that the proposal for the highest level summit had been agreed by all political groups which was supposed to be the most awaited summit and also the most decisive one. The two disclosed that their top leadership were making all necessary arrangements to facilitate chairman S. S. Khaplang and Kedaghe Brig. (Retd) S. Singnya’s safe arrival.
However, they said the NSCN (I-M) brushed aside the COR and all FNR’s appeal by detailing a large number of their military, fully armed, in the first week of February, to Eastern Nagaland to intercept and prevent Khaplang and Singnya’s possible journey to Nagaland. “The order to assassinate the two signatories of COR can never be ruled out. Whether NSCN (IM) chairman Mr. Isak Chishi Swu ordered this military expedition or not is for him to clarify to the Naga people,” they asked.
They said the highest level summit entailed cessation of all hostilities among Naga political groups anywhere in Naga homeland and that no group should attempt territorial expansion. While appreciating Mr. Isak Chishi Swu’s call for Reconciliation in the local dailies, they said the arrival of NSCN(I-M) cadres in eastern Naga homeland nearly a month back and motives of the military offensive could not be ignored.
“To those who genuinely cherish peace and reconciliation in Naga homeland, it is unthinkable to preach reconciliation in one part of Naga homeland and allow innocent blood to flow in another,” it added.
Further, they said while Naga people must understand and acknowledge that COR encompassed every nook and corner of Naga homeland , the blood of eastern Nagas was “not cheaper or inferior.”
Both opined that Isak Chishi Swu, deep in his heart, understood that reconciliation was possible only if he ordered complete withdrawal of “Absolom Tankhul and his group from eastern Nagaland.”
They said despite the ongoing military operation, Khaplang and Singnya hoped that the will of the of the Naga people would come to the fore at an opportune time and hour but expressed regrets that they would not be attending the top leaders’ meet.
According to the GPRN/NSCN and FGN/NNC, the reason for not attending the planned meet was to draw the attention of every Naga irrespective of tribes, affiliations or artificial boundaries and set aside their emotional desire to reconcile and view the reality of the situation that has befallen the Naga people.
They noted that the signing of COR in June 2009 by Khaplang, Isak Chishi Swu and Singnya had to some extent, fulfilled the deepest yearning of the Naga people. However, they lamented that the COR, since its signing, had been defiled time and again by incidents such as the killing of Zaremo Odyuo, a civilian worker on August 26, 2010 at Mekokla in Lotha Region by NSCN (I-M). It said that the killing of Nampang another national worker in July 2010, seriously questioned the NSCN(I-M)’s commitment to COR. They viewed the “inhuman torture” of Ahoshe Awomi on October 14, 2010 by Yarteo Tangkhul, reflected the “darkest side of human character.”
The two also recalled that the early morning raid on GPRN/NSCN & NNC/FGN mobile camp at Regury village near Meluri by NSCN (I-M) in the autumn of 2010 remained a “sad page” in COR. The two also said the attempt on the life of one Naga army cadre and injury of a schoolgirl at Namsa in Konyak Region in October 2010 “trampled common hope.”
Despite these brazen violations, the GPRN/NSCN & FGN/NNC said they continued the Journey of Common Hope with an undying desire for a new dawn for all Nagas. They appreciated the FNR for its positive vision and hope for the Naga nation and the Hohos, Naga elders, mothers, students, civil societies, NGOs and all concerned Nagas towards Naga Reconciliation for their continuous support.

Comments:(0) Login or Register to post your Comment
(Available for registered users only)
More News