KIPHIRE, APR 9 : A major fire broke out on April 9 at Longya ward (Sunrise Colony) Kiphire town and gutted more than 12 houses destroying properties worth `70-80 lakhs.
The fire which started at around 11:27am, lasted for at least three hours. The fire said to be caused by short-circuit, started in one of the houses which then spread the neighboring houses. Around 699 number of broiler chickens, each weighing 1780 kgs, meant for sale in the market and some local pigs were among many that destroyed in the fire.
Shortage of water and non-availability of fire tender in Kiphire caused panic to the public. However, the AR personnel including the police tried their best to put off the fire during the incident.
District administration, police officer, and Kiphire Town Sangtam Students’ Union (KTSSU) executives were also seen at the site.
KTSSU president seeing this, raised concern over non-availability of fire tender in Kiphire causing hardship to the general public as well as victims during such occurrences.
It may be mentioned that this is the second major fire incident that occurred this year in Kiphire town and till date the department in-charge was yet to take measures.
Relief for fire victims:
Market union Kiphire town led by its chairman Tsaseto Sangtam with executive members accompanied by Justin Khatomong T Chairman KVSU and Semato secretary divisional unit NPF Kiphire on Sunday distributed relief materials and cash to the victims of the fire incident.
Tsilise Sangtam former deputy chairman of the Kiphire Town Council (KTC) donated a sum of `1000 each to all the victims.
Market union Kiphire further resented the complete negligence of the government for not providing fire tenders to Kiphire knowing that fact that Kiphire town was devoid of such facility.
They also appealed the public leaders, NGOs, MLAs from the district including student bodies and district administration to play a vital role in order to provide fire tenders to Kiphire.