Breaking News
Nagaland Post Logo
You are here:  Skip Navigation LinksHome » Show story
SAPO on Kezoltsa issue
Published on 14 Apr. 2011 12:37 AM IST
Print  Text Size

Reacting to statement issued by the Mao Council that appeared in sections of the local media on April 12 , the Southern Angami Public Organisation (SAPO) said that the Mao Council attempted to exonerate itself form blame and instead “tried to paint the southern Angami people with horns”.
It may be recalled that the Southern Angami Youth Organisation (SAYO) had imposed restrictions on mobility of Mao people at Southern Angami areas in view of what was described as violation of agreement to maintain status quo till the issue was settled by the Tenyimi Public Organisation (TPO). SAPO president Zadeho Rikha and general secretary Medozhase Sale pointed out that in clear violation of the agreement, it has came to light “with photographic evidences” that Mao people “were still carrying out massive logging and other activities at the same area (reportedly traditional land of southern Angamis).
SAPO said there had been no dispute between Maos and Angamis in the past with regard to traditional ownership of Dzukou valley or Kezoltsa. It said the neighbouring villages paid nominal tax to the southern Angami villages in acknowledging land ownership for permission to use their forest and land resources. However, it said after division of the land following creation of Nagaland and Manipur, problems cropped up between the two communities due to “forces playing on vested interest”.
SAPO reiterated its stand on its traditional lands and boundaries while also acknowledging the traditional lands of its neighbours.
For instance, it said when the T.B. Hospital at Khuzama was constructed within Nagaland, the southern Angamis acknowledged Maos as the traditional owners who were paid due compensation besides employment privileges under Nagaland government.
SAPO accused the Mao Council of putting the southern Angamis in bad light by citing some incidents and stopping short of blaming SAPO as the “instrigator” . SAPO declared it has “full evidential proof of our statement, besides witnesses.”
SAPO cited past incidents such as in 1985 when the Mao Council accused SAPO volunteers of abducting Mao student leaders visiting Dzukou valley and making them sign under duress then putting them to jail.
SAPO said it had authorized the Southern Angami Students Union (SASU) to execute SAPO standing resolution to restrict visitors without entry passes to Dzukou valley but affirmed that those caught were not Mao students . It said those caught were Manipur government officials with private porters who admitted their guilt and gave confessional statement to SAPO on their own volition after which district authorities took them to Kohima but later released in presence of DC and SP Senapati.
Again, it pointed out in 2001, the Southern Angami Youth Organisation (SAYO) took strong exception to youths from Song-Song, a Mao village, who destroyed a house constructed by SAPO after which SAPO imposed economic blockade.
Following intervention by the Tenyimia Central Union (TCU) a joint meeting was held between the Memiei (Mao) Council and Angami Public Organisation (APO) that led to passing of four resolutions that included –directive to Song-Song villagers (Mao) to reconstruct SAPO’s damaged property. SAPO said it meant there was no dispute to possession of Kezoltsa by SAPO.
Again in March 2010, SAPO said SAYO volunteers caught some Mao people indulging in “unscrupulous logging and destruction of forest at Kezoltsa”. It said on the appeal by the Mao Council, the TPO (erstwhile TCU) intervened and detainees released after reaching an agreement on March 19,2010.
SAPO said the detainees agreed that they “shall pay respect and maintain the traditional boundaries of our forefathers” and the APO and Mao Council directed that no one will be allowed to undertake logging, collection of firewood from the area, till the issue was settled.
SAPO said while it had anticipated positive development on the dispute, Maos began massive logging and other activities in the area.SAPO said it appealed to the TPO through the APO to stop violation of the March 2010 agreement and identify those involved but to no avail.
As a consequence, SAPO said it served an ultimatum on Memei (Mao) Council on March 29,2011 to produce those defaulters but the council “totally ignored” it.
Left with no option, SAPO said the restriction of social mobility of the Maos within southern Agnami jurisdiction has been implemented peacefully without incident.
SAPO maintained it wanted to resolve the issue amicably as reposed on TPO and expected the same from the Mao Council.
Stating that as the Memei Council had not adhered to the agreement and intentionally violated the provisions, SAPO said it was left open to the general public as to whether actions of SAPO/SAYO was justified or not.

Comments:(0) Login or Register to post your Comment
(Available for registered users only)
More News