Breaking News
Nagaland Post Logo
You are here:  Skip Navigation LinksHome » Show story
9 houses burnt down, 2 injured in Kohima

Houses on fire near Old TCP Gate colony, Kohima. (Citizen Journalist: Kelhou Souhu)
Correspondent Kohima, Mar 27 (NPN):
:
Published on 28 Mar. 2011 12:10 AM IST
Print  Text Size
 

Two persons were injured when nine houses were razed down in a major fire Sunday at Old TCP Gate colony, under New Market Ward, Kohima.
The burned down buildings, mostly made of wood with CGI roof,had a total of 30 rooms. It was suspected that the fire may have been caused from one rented room and quickly spread to the adjoining rooms of other houses.
One of injured identified as Dari Prasad (65), a mason from whose room the fire was suspected to have started, was in an inebriated condition. It was suspected that Prasad, in his inebriated condition, may have tried to light the kerosene stove and did not tend to it. He has been admitted to the NHAK with burns on the neck and hands. Police also have recorded his statement in the hospital.
The fire reportedly started at around 11 a.m. and soon engulfed the houses, reducing them to ashes. The inferno could be contained only around 2 p.m. by the fire tender personnel and local public. Three Gas cylinders also burst during the fire incident and a domestic animal was also burnt to dead.
The house owners and tenants disclosed that they could not salvage their belongings. Being a Sunday, most of the people were away attending church services. Twenty six families have been affected by the fire and properties worth several lakh rupees were destroyed including cash. Two main buildings were also reduced to ashes. Though unconfirmed, it was also reported that some miscreants also looted valuables from the burning houses on the pretext of helping. Most of those who were in the houses were women and children. Some who tried to help fight the inferno were also injured.
A total of six fire tenders made twenty trips to douse the fire, while three water carrier vehicles from security forces also were pressed into service. District Administration led by DC Kohima Beiu Angami, SP Kohima Rothihu Tetseo; SP (F&ES) Neilsa Sopfü also rushed to the spot to supervise the rescue operations. On hearing the unfortunate news, Nagaland Legislative Assembly (NLA) speaker Kiyanilie Peseyie also visited the site. A personnel of the Fire and Emergency Services, identified as Fireman Menuhol Sale (32) was injured during the rescue operation when a wall collapsed. Both his (Menuhol) legs were fractured. Doctors also informed that the patient would be operated. Parliamentary secretary Fire & Emergency Services Er. W. Kithan also rushed to the hospital to enquire about the condition of the injured fireman.
Meanwhile a senior police officer present at the site, said that though most of people use mobile phones, many did not know the emergency numbers such a fire services, police stations and hospitals. The officer opined that the repeated fire incidents should alert people in having the numbers during emergency.

 
Comments:(0) Login or Register to post your Comment
(Available for registered users only)
 
 
 
News:
Date:
 
More News