Breaking News
Nagaland Post Logo
You are here:  Skip Navigation LinksHome » Show story
Inquiry into July 23 incident closes
Correspondent IMPHAL, MAR 29:
Published on 30 Mar. 2011 12:17 AM IST
Print  Text Size

The one-man Commission of Inquiry into the facts and circumstances leading to the July 23, 2009 shooting incident at Khwairamband Bazar came to a close Tuesday. With the close of the inquiry, the presiding officer, Judge (retired), PG Agarwal, reserved the report for onward submission to the government.
The inquiry commission was constituted by an order of the home Department issued on August 27, 2009, in exercise of the powers conferred by section 3 of the Commission of Inquiry Act, 1952 (60 of 1952) by appointing a One-Man Commission of Inquiry to be presided over by Justice Retd PG Agarwal (of the Gauhati High Court) to enquire into the circumstances leading to the firing incident on July 23 at/around B.T. Road at Imphal. As per the order the terms of reference of the Commission were to find out facts & circumstances leading to the incident of firing and the death of Thokchom (O) Rabina Devi (23) wife of Th Chinglensana of Lamsang Bazar, Lamdeng Khunou and Chingkham Sanjit (22) son of Ch Khelen Meitei of Khurai Sajor Leikai and bullet injury to 5 others.
No help from the people could be get during the inquiry, said the presiding officer while announcing the closure of the inquiry after a hearing today at its temporary office at Imphal Hotel at North AOC.
On the last day of the hearing, counsels of the Manipur Police and commission, advocate N Kumarjit and Th Modhu submitted their written arguments. Justice Agarwal kept reserved the arguments asking the counsel of the police commandos involved in the case to submit his written argument within a week time.
While submitting his argument, commission’s counsel Th Modhu said that the commission could not get supports and helps from the general public during the course of inquiry. As public witnesses refused to give their statement to the commission, the fact of the incident could not established, he added.
However, he added that the commission came to know that Th Rabina Devi was killed by bullets of the police commandos as the bullet that hit her was AK ammunition. Injuries that were inflicted to the five other persons were also by AK ammunitions.
About the death of Ch Sanjit, he said, even though police claimed him being killed in an encounter, as per the photographs published in Tahelka magazine, it was an untrue claim. He could not get the chance of cross examinations of the police personnel involved in the case as they submitted their statements in the form of affidavits, the counsel of the commission said.
In his argument, N Kumarjit, counsel of the police, said that there was no evidence to prove that police had acted above the law in the shooting incident during the inquiry. Ch Sanjit was killed in cross firing with the police commandos, he insisted.
He also informed that CBI had charge-sheeted against police in this regard and the trial hearing had already been started.
The inquiry of the One-man Commission, mention may be made, was started from September, 2009 and had completed one and a half year.

Comments:(0) Login or Register to post your Comment
(Available for registered users only)
More News
  • 1
  • 2