Breaking News
Nagaland Post Logo
You are here:  Skip Navigation LinksHome » Show story
Demolition drive at Chumu

Temporary hutment demolished in Chumukedima, Monday. (NP)
Staff Reporter DIMAPUR, MAY 16 (NPN):
Published on 17 May. 2011 12:27 AM IST
Print  Text Size

After issuing several notifications and extending deadlines for voluntary removal of structures and items along the NH 29 falling within Chumukedima jurisdiction, a joint team of the Chumukedima Town Council (CTC), Chumukedima Village Council (CVC) and the GBs on Monday carried out demolition drive for “beautification purpose.”
Several ghumties, retaining walls, sign boards and other temporary structures were pulled down with the help of an excavator at the directive of the joint team. Sand and pebbles and all other temporary structures falling within the parameter of 90 feet measuring 45 feet on both sides of the highway from the middle were removed. However, a grace period of 15 days was extended before demolition drive on few concrete and other permanent structures begins. The demolition started from 7th Mile till Chumukedima town. Certain landowners objected to the demolition but they relented after the joint team of the CTC, CVC and GBs intervened.
Later, briefing media persons, CTC chief advisor, T. Shuya claimed that the demolition drive was by and large successful and thanked the pubic for their cooperation. He recalled that the first notification to remove illegal structures along the highway was issued on March 2 with a deadline of March 20. He said, however, at the request of landowners, the last date was extended to April 4 which was further extended to April 13. Another grace period of one month was given upto May 14 and the demolition was eventually carried out on May 16. Shuya said the demolition drive was based on earlier resolutions of the village Panchayat adopted in the years 1969, 1974, 1978, 1982 and 1994. He said the resolutions pertained to reservation of the road for NH as well as colony approach roads. Initially, Shuya said, the panchayat had reserved 75 feet on both sides for the NH but was gradually reduced to 50 feet and currently at 45 feet and that Colony approach roads were reserved at 20 feet on both sides.
He lamented that the Naga people wanted development but were unwilling to give out land for developmental purposes. EAC Chumukedima, Henok Buchem asserted that the demolition drive was not a sudden programme as there had been several notifications issued in the past and subsequent orders issued by the state government and successive deputy commissioners. He said the earlier orders could not be carried out owing to several reasons but added that the strong determination of the present team had enabled the demolition to be carried out. The EAC extended the full support of the administration on the demolition drive.
The demolition team was assisted by the police, administration and the public.

Comments:(0) Login or Register to post your Comment
(Available for registered users only)
More News
  • 1
  • 2