200gm Black turtle beans
100gm Dried beef
1 ham Hock
100gm Pork ribs
100gm Spicy smoked sausage
100gm Smoked pork
100gm Pig or beef tongue (optional)
100ml Refined oil
100gm Onions, finely chopped
50gm garlic, chopped
1 bunch Parsley
1 Bay leaf
Hot sauce/ chili
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Soak the beans overnight in cold water.
2. Place the beans in a large pot and cover with water. Add the ham hock and the dried beef. Simmer for 2 hours, or until beans are cooked.
3. Add the rest of the meat and the bay leaf to the beans and simmer for 30 minutes, adding hot water if necessary.
4. Heat the oil in a pan and cook the onions and garlic until soft and golden. Add the parsley, and season with cumin and salt and pepper to taste and chili sauce.
5. Add 3/4 cup of the bean mixture to the pan and mash the beans with the onions. Add the mixture back to the beans and meat. Simmer for 30 minutes more.
6. Remove the meat from the beans and cut them into smaller pieces or thin slices.
7. Check for seasoning and serve with rice.