Regional

Bandh against boat tragedy hits life in North Guwahati

Bandh against boat tragedy hits life in North Guwahati
NDRF team carrying out search operations in Brahmaputra. (Northeast Now)
GUWAHATI, Sep 7 (Agencies) | Publish Date: 9/7/2018 11:46:54 AM IST

A 12-hour local bandh called by a joint committee of various organisations in North Guwahati since Friday morning against Wednesday afternoon’s boat tragedy has paralysed life in the area even as a huge search party comprising personnel of Indian Army, Indian Navy, the NDRF and SDRF resumed search operation on Brahmaputra River since morning for the third day, TST reported.

The big Army search party has five officers, seven JCOs and 70 other personnel.  Thursday’s search operation failed to fish out any victims of the boat tragedy.  Four persons including two girl students were killed and 19 others rescued alive after the boat mishap on Wednesday afternoon.

Meanwhile, authorities have arrested the owner of the private motorboat, Kamal Das, which met with accident on Brahmaputra river of Wednesday afternoon.

Plying of mechanised boats suspended

Following the capsize of a boat on Wednesday in Brahmaputra near Awshaklanta temple in Guwahati, Assam government has temporarily suspended plying of private mechanised boats (bhutbhuti) in the river routes across the state, Northeast Now reported.

Assam Inland Water Transport Director BB Dev Choudhury in an order issued on Friday stated that plying of private mechanised boats (bhutbhuti) is temporarily suspended with immediate effect in all ferry services with Assam until further order.

Earlier on Wednesday, the government banned mechanised boats between north Guwahati and Guwahati on the Brahmaputra. Transport Minister Chandra Mohan Patowary had said that the order will remain effective for the entire monsoon. Four people were killed and at least 15 were missing after a bhutbhuti carrying about 40 passengers capsized in Brahmaputra on Wednesday.

While three bodies were recovered on Wednesday immediately after the incident, body of another passenger was recovered on Friday.

The river police recovered the body of Rahul Ali from Silalmari char of Brahmaputra in Palashbari. Rahul, a resident of Changsari on outskirts of the city, was an employee of the Guwahati Municipal Corporation (GMC).

Police said a voter ID card and some important documents were recovered from the pocket of his shirt.

Two students of Cotton University— Dimpy Bora and Ankita Baruah—and a youth, Kamal Das were killed in the mishap on Wednesday.

The army, National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) and State Disaster Response Force (SDRF) team carried out search operation for the third day on Friday but had to halt the operation in the evening without any success.

Launched on December 3,1990. Nagaland Post is the first and highest circulated newspaper of Nagaland state. Nagaland Post is also the first newspaper in Nagaland to be published in multi-colour.

Phone:+91-3862-248 489,Fax: +91-3862-248 500
Advt.:+91-3862-2482 267, e-mail:npdesk@gmail.com

QUICK LINKS

SUNDAY POST

Join us on

© Nagaland Post 2018. All Rights are Reserved
Designed by : 4C Plus