Regional

Biren questions JAC’s motive of protest

Biren questions JAC’s motive of protest
JAC members staging a relay-hunger strike demanding justice for Babysana at Thangmeiband on Monday.
Correspondent IMPHAL, Aug 19 | Publish Date: 8/19/2019 11:23:53 AM IST

Manipur chief minister N Biren Singh on Monday questioned the motive behind the continued agitations in connection to the controversial death of a girl student in her hostel room even as the JAC spearheading the agitations commenced its relay-hunger strike on Monday.

Addressing at a function related to the inauguration of a water supply scheme in Thoubal district on Monday, the chief minister claimed that the government has fulfilled almost all the demands put forward by the JAC and asked what else the JAC wants.

“We are doing our best to deliver justice, we have written to the relevant authorities for handing over the case to CBI twice after incorporating IPC 302, we have set up SIT and started investigation,” he said.

He stated that police have also arrested some suspects and the investigation was in progress. He added that the police has arrested all the suspected persons, autopsy was done twice with video coverage, and section 302 of IPC was later included in the case. 

All these were done on the demand of the JAC, he said and announced that if they wanted, JAC or any other pressure group can access any documents and orders related to the case from his office secretariat.

The chief minister further said that even though he understand the sentiment of the people and reason for organizing rally, it painted a disturbing picture of  Manipur to outsiders.

“It is alright to protest if the government remain silent and do nothing, but when the government is doing everything to ensure justice to Babysana, why do the people need such hostile protest,” he asked.

He said that whether Babysana was murdered or died due to some other reason will be known only when the investigation is completed. If she was murdered, the culprits will be awarded punishment as per the law of the land, Singh added.

The 12-year-old student of Class-VII studied at Standard Robarth Higher Secondary School, Canchipur was found hanging in her hostel room on July 18 last in a suspicious manner.

The statement of the chief minister was against the backdrop of continuing agitations demanding justice for the student being spearheaded by JAC formed in connection with the controversial death of a student in her hostel room.

Intensifying its agitation, the JAC commenced its relay-hunger strike on Monday.Ten members of the ‘JAC against murder of N Babysana Chanu’ staged the relay-hunger strike at the western gate of DM College, Thangmeiband on the first day. However, after police dispersed them claiming that the area was under CrPC 144, the protest site was shifted to Thangmeiband Meisnam Leikai where they continued the protest till late afternoon. 

JAC members taking part in the relay-hunger strike strongly condemned police action towards the protestors and alleged that the minor student was hung after being murdered  Talking to the media,  president M Ibeyaima of Ema Konthounganbi Meira Paibi strongly condemned the police brutalities towards  protestors staging peaceful democratic protest  and added that JAC had already registered strong objection to the police investigation that suggested the case is a suicide case.

Public won’t believe that such a minor girl committed suicide, that too inside a dormitory where she stayed with 37 other students.

She demanded fair and flawless investigation and finding out the culprit(s) behind the murder of the girl. She announced that the protests of various forms will continue till steps to deliver justice to the victim are initiated by the government and the police.

Meanwhile, even after police foiled torch rallies of womenfolk across the valley districts last night, sit-in-protests were staged today at various places joining the chorus in demanding justice of the deceased student.

A woman protestor was injured by tear gas shell fired by police to disperse the protestors carrying out torch rally in Imphal’s Singjamei area.

 

Launched on December 3,1990. Nagaland Post is the first and highest circulated newspaper of Nagaland state. Nagaland Post is also the first newspaper in Nagaland to be published in multi-colour.

Desk:+91-3862-248 489, e-mail: npdesk@gmail.com Fax: +91-3862-248 500
Advt.:+91-3862-248 267, e-mail:npostadvt@gmail.com

QUICK LINKS

SUNDAY POST

Join us on

© Nagaland Post 2018. All Rights are Reserved
Designed by : 4C Plus