Bodies of 2 boys recovered from Doyang

Bodies of 2 boys recovered from Doyang
SDRF personnel with diving equipment during the rescue operation. (SDO-C, Wokha)
DIMAPUR, JUL 7 (NPN) | Publish Date: 7/7/2019 11:39:17 AM IST

Bodies of two boys who had drowned in Doyang river just a little downstream the Doyang Hydro Electric Project (DHEP) in Wokha district on Friday afternoon were recovered on Sunday morning.

According to Wokha SDO (Civil) Chonpenthung Ezung, the district administration had received reports around 3 p.m. on Friday that two boys had drowned. On receiving information from Wokha deputy commissioner (DC), he claimed Sanis administration officials immediately rushed to the spot and confirmed that four individuals had gone down to the river bank and two of them unfortunately had drowned between 2:45 and 3 p.m. It was further ascertained that, upon receiving a report about the incident, the dam & spillway division had immediately switched off all three hydro machines. He said the Wokha DC also immediately wrote to DHEP authority to suspend power generation until the bodies were retrieved. 

Meanwhile, local volunteers and divers carried out a search, while the State Disaster Response Force (SDRF) team stationed at Wokha was immediately requisitioned by the Wokha DC. Though the SDRF team reached the spot at 6:10 p.m. and immediately initiated a search operation with their divers, the operation had to be called off at 9:25 p.m. as it was very late and the water was extremely murky.

SDRF commenced their search operation the following day at 6 a.m. with motor boats and divers, even as another team led by EAC Aitepyong, Wokha SDPO and Central Industrial Security Force (CISF) assistant commandant numbering around 50 searched downstream beyond the Doyang bridge. 

Two teams were formed to cover both banks and the groups covered one km on foot to identify potential locations.

The Wokha DC wrote an urgent letter to home commissioner seeking technical assistance for the search operation through manpower and equipments. National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) team stationed at Dimapur was also rushed to assist in the ongoing operation and although the team moved out immediately, unforeseen circumstances delayed their arrival at the site. The SDRF carried out the search, but the operation had to be called off at 7:30 pm due to rains.

The NDRF team again began its search operation at 5 am on Sunday and its deep divers began checking all possible locations identified by the officers in charge of the operation and locals. An aerial survey was carried out at 7 am with a police drone especially requisitioned by Wokha Superintendent of Police (SP) from Mokokchung. All resources and technology available were requisitioned and equipments like drones and manpower from Nagaland GIS Cell, underwater cameras from NSDMA were used in the search operation while the NDRF and SDRF teams carried on their search operation simultaneously. 

Wokha DC, along with SDO (C) Wokha and Wokha SP, also reached the spot to personally supervise and oversee the search operations. 

Finally, one body was found from a spot at 11:45 am and minutes later the second body too was retrieved from the same location by the NDRF divers.

All necessary procedures were carried out by the magistrates and police on the site and the two bodies were handed over to the family members as post mortem was refused by both families. An ambulance was arranged and both the bodies were taken to Wokha town.

Following the successful conclusion of the search operation that led to recovery of both the bodies within 48 hours, a debriefing session was held at the CISF camp at DHEP where EAC Aitepyong gave a short report on the entire operation, which was followed by reports from officers of various teams involved in the operation like Wokha SDPO, Home Guards Wokha district commandant, NDRF team commander and DHEP. 

The Wokha DC and SP thanked all the teams for their tireless efforts and the coordination exhibited by them that ultimately led to the retrieval of the two bodies. 

EAC Aitepyong, Wokha SDPO, NDRF and SDRF teams were felicitated for their exemplary efforts in making the operation a success by the DC, who is also the chairman of Wokha District Disaster Management Authority. 

The Wokha DC reiterated that people should refrain from going to the dam site or the banks of the Doyang for picnic or any other purpose during the monsoon season as the water level remained very high, and thereby avoid any untoward incident. In this regard, he said a notice had already been issued by his office. 

The DC further thanked local volunteers, village councils, NGOs and all those involved in the search for the two bodies.



Launched on December 3,1990. Nagaland Post is the first and highest circulated newspaper of Nagaland state. Nagaland Post is also the first newspaper in Nagaland to be published in multi-colour.

Desk:+91-3862-248 489, e-mail: Fax: +91-3862-248 500
Advt.:+91-3862-248 267,



Join us on

© Nagaland Post 2018. All Rights are Reserved
Designed by : 4C Plus