Sports

Broad given no guarantee of a recall for second Test

London, Jul 13 (Agencies) | Publish Date: 7/13/2020 9:45:25 AM IST

England cricket coach Chris Silverwood refused to give any guarantees that Stuart Broad will be recalled for the second Test against the West Indies, saying Monday selection was still up for grabs.

Broad was dropped for the first Test of the series, which England lost in Southampton on Sunday, and gave an interview during the match in which he said he was “frustrated, angry and gutted.”
The second Test starts in Manchester on Thursday and England could decide to shake up its pace attack to bring in Broad, who sits second on the country’s all-time wickets list in Tests on 485.
Silverwood was non-committal, though.
When asked whether Broad is in line to play, Silverwood said, “Nothing is a given in this team, as we have seen, and people will be playing for their spots. Everything will be considered.”
England went with Mark Wood, Jofra Archer and James Anderson as its pace bowlers in Southampton.
Wood only picked up two wickets across the two innings, perhaps making him the fall guy if Broad is to return. Alternatively, England may choose to rest Anderson, who was injury-hit last year and might not be risked to play three back-to-back Test matches.
The third Test starts July 24.
“We have one or two stiff bodies, as you can imagine,” Silverwood said.

Launched on December 3,1990. Nagaland Post is the first and highest circulated newspaper of Nagaland state. Nagaland Post is also the first newspaper in Nagaland to be published in multi-colour.

Desk:+91-3862-248 489, e-mail: npdesk@gmail.com Fax: +91-3862-248 500
Advt.:+91-3862-248 267, e-mail:npostadvt@gmail.com

QUICK LINKS

SUNDAY POST

Join us on

© Nagaland Post 2018. All Rights are Reserved
Designed by : 4C Plus