International

China says India betrayed accords, consensus

New Delhi/Beijing, Jun 25 (IANS) | Publish Date: 6/25/2020 1:28:23 PM IST

China on Thursday once again claimed the violent face-off along the Line of Actual Control (LAC) in Ladakh was caused by India’s “betrayal of consensuses and unilateral provocations” and that it “took place on the Chinese side”.

The Chinese claim is contrary to what India has said.

The Ministry of External Affairs in New Delhi last week said since early May, the Chinese side has been hindering India’s normal, traditional patrolling pattern along the LAC in Ladakh.

In mid-May, the Chinese side attempted to transgress the LAC in other areas of the Western Sector of the India-China border areas. The Chinese attempts were invariably met with an appropriate response from India following which, the two sides were engaged in discussions through established diplomatic and military channels to address the situation arising out of Chinese activities on the LAC.

The senior commanders of both sides met on June 6, and agreed on a process for de-escalation and disengagement along the LAC that involved reciprocal actions. Both sides had agreed to respect and abide by the LAC and not undertake any activity to alter the status quo.

However, the Chinese side departed from these understandings in respect of the LAC in the Galwan Valley area and sought to erect structures just across the LAC. When this attempt was foiled, Chinese troops engaged in violent actions on June 15 that directly resulted in casualties.

Now at a news conference in Beijing on Wednesday, China’s Defence Ministry spokesman senior colonel Wu Qian blamed India for the violent clash in which 20 Indian soldiers and an unknown number of Chinese troops were killed.

The China Daily quoted Wu saying that the June 15 clash “happened because India’s front-line border force violated accords and consensuses reached by both sides and made provocations by trespassing into territory on the Chinese side of the Line of Actual Control in the Galwan Valley.”

He claimed that when Chinese troops were trying to negotiate about the matter, they were suddenly attacked by Indian officers and soldiers. “That led to fierce physical conflicts between the two sides in which the Chinese troops used defensive measures,” Wu said.

“The entire incident was caused by India’s betrayal of consensuses and unilateral provocations and took place on the Chinese side of the line,” he repeated.

After the clash, China and India communicated and negotiated through military and diplomatic channels, he said adding that officers from both sides exchanged views on easing tensions and maintaining the border area’s peace and stability during a second round of talks between high-ranking officers at the level of group army commander on Monday.

He said the two sides were also discussing the holding of a teleconference between their defence ministers. “As peace and stability in border areas are in the interests of both sides, China hopes India will work with it to fulfill the consensuses reached by national leaders from both countries, honor agreements and accords between the two sides, address related issues via talks and negotiations, and strive to ease border tensions,” Wu said.

China tries to pacify families of ‘unsung’ PLA soldiers killed in Ladakh

China on Wednesday attempted to pacify the aggrieved families of the Chinese soldiers who were killed in clashes with Indian troops along the Line of Actual Control (LAC) in Ladakh’s Galwan valley, without any official recognition from Beijing.

The Chinese Communist Party (CCP) regime’s mouthpiece, The Global Times, written by its editor Hu Xijn claimed that “the dead have been treated with the highest respect in the military, and that the information will eventually be reported to society at the right time, so that heroes can be honored and remembered as they deserve.”

The editorial came two days after a video emerged from China showing that the families of the People’s Liberation Army (PLA) personnel were outraged by the fact that unlike Indian soldiers, their martyrs had received no honor and no acknowledgment. The video went viral on social media. Though the Global Times has admitted that “less than 20” PLA soldiers were killed in the violent face-off in Ladakh, the Xi Jinping government has remained tight-lipped about them.

Paying “high tribute to the PLA officers and soldiers”, Hu wrote, “China’s security and the tranquility of China’s borders depend upon them. Thus far, the Chinese military has not released any information about the deceased. As both a former soldier and current media professional, I understand that this is an expedient move with the aim of not irritating public opinion in the two countries, especially in India. This is Beijing’s goodwill.”

Lamenting that the Indian media claimed that at least 40 Chinese soldiers were killed, and India has handed over the bodies of 16 Chinese soldiers, the Global Times editor in his long piece called them “unchallenged rumors”.

Bragging about the violent face-off in Ladakh, he wrote,”The PLA has taught a lesson to the Indian side, which has always misjudged Chinese people’s determination and advantages. The PLA has demonstrated its strength and determination to use force when necessary, which is a strong deterrent to the Indian side, especially their frontline troops. The PLA not only showed its ability to bring the situation under control, but also gained a psychological advantage over the Indian army on the ground.”

Some in India, he said, preach that the PLA, which has not fought a war for more than 30 years now, is an army that does not know how to fight. “Their arrogance is frivolous. It is now clear who is the egg and who is the rock,” he wrote.

Threatening India, the Global Times editor said, “Don’t mess with the PLA. That is our stern warning to those who want to take advantage of changes in the international situation to challenge China’s core interests.” The PLA, he revealed, has made a “strong deployment and is ready to hit the hysterical intruders hard.” At the same time, this deployment aims to avoid the occurrence of greater conflicts, he added.

Launched on December 3,1990. Nagaland Post is the first and highest circulated newspaper of Nagaland state. Nagaland Post is also the first newspaper in Nagaland to be published in multi-colour.

Desk:+91-3862-248 489, e-mail: npdesk@gmail.com Fax: +91-3862-248 500
Advt.:+91-3862-248 267, e-mail:npostadvt@gmail.com

QUICK LINKS

SUNDAY POST

Join us on

© Nagaland Post 2018. All Rights are Reserved
Designed by : 4C Plus