National

Cong slams Centre over NSCN (I-M)’s claims on FA

NEW DELHI, AUG 19 | Publish Date: 8/19/2020 11:48:48 AM IST

The Congress on Wednesday attacked the government over NSCN(I-M)’s claim that the 2015 Framework Agreement was signed after a series of discussions based on the principle of “shared- sovereignty”, and sought answers over the deal.

The NSCN (I-M), which has been engaged in peace negotiations with the government, had last week said that an honourable solution to the seven-decades-old violent movement is not possible without a Naga flag and a constitution.

Congress spokesperson Shaktisinh Gohil said that Prime Minister Narendra Modi declared in August 2015 that a peace accord has been signed and the Naga problem will be solved.

He alleged that when the Congress asked for the details, the Centre did not provide any details and later it emerged that it was not a peace accord, but a framework agreement.

Gohil also cited the recent statement of NSCN (I-M) general secretary Thuingaleng Muivah who had said that the Nagas have their own flag and constitution and the insurgent group was not asking for these from the government.

Gohil sought answers from the government over the agreement, stating that this was not a secret deal and people and the country should know about it.

He said all stakeholder states should have been involved in the talks.

Gohil said the government needs to clarify and come clean on whether shared sovereignty was discussed as part of the framework agreement. 

The framework agreement came after over 80 rounds of negotiations spanning 18 years, with the first breakthrough made in 1997 when the ceasefire agreement was sealed after decades of insurgency in Nagaland which started soon after India’s independence in 1947.

Parleys between NSCN (I-M), GoI back on track, says Sarma

Assam Health minister and North East Democratic Alliance (NEDA) convenor, Himanta Biswa Sarma, has said that the peace parleys between NSCN (I-M) and the Government of India are back on track, reports The Economic Times.

According to ET report, Himanta Biswa Sarma, when asked if Nagaland chief minister Neiphiu Rio and he had a new role in the Naga peace talks, said: “We were given some small responsibility, we have accomplished that. They are discussing with the home ministry and the dialogue is on track.”

Union Home minister Amit Shah had drafted Sarma to defuse the situation politically while officials from the Intelligence Bureau (IB) held parleys with the top leadership of NSCN (I-M) in Delhi.

Launched on December 3,1990. Nagaland Post is the first and highest circulated newspaper of Nagaland state. Nagaland Post is also the first newspaper in Nagaland to be published in multi-colour.

Desk:+91-3862-248 489, e-mail: npdesk@gmail.com Fax: +91-3862-248 500
Advt.:+91-3862-248 267, e-mail:npostadvt@gmail.com

QUICK LINKS

SUNDAY POST

Join us on

© Nagaland Post 2018. All Rights are Reserved
Designed by : 4C Plus