Regional

Conrad assures action over attacks on 6 youths

Conrad assures action over attacks on 6 youths
Conrad Sangma
Correspondent Shillong, Jul 4 | Publish Date: 7/4/2020 11:03:49 AM IST

Meghalaya chief minister Conrad Sangma on Saturday assured action against those who attacked six youths at a basketball court with the iron-rods and sticks on Friday afternoon.

The masked goons numbering around 20-25 first locked the caged arena of the basketball court located at Lawsohtun area and then assaulted six non-tribal youths with iron-rods and sticks while they were playing basketball

The victims --Arindam Deb, Subharshi Das Purkayastha, Saptarshi Das Purkayastha, Binak Deb, Bishal Ghosh, and Prittish Deb -- have been playing basketball in the court during the lockdown period and had been going to the ground for the last two week.

“I strongly condemn the assault on 5 boys yesterday in Lawsohtun, Shillong. An assault on any citizen of the State irrespective of background or community will not be tolerated,” Chief Minister tweeted.

“Perpetrators of such heinous crimes will be charged by law. Action will be taken,” Sangma assured.

Meghalaya police spokesperson, Gabriel Iangrai said three suspects were picked up on Friday and another eight suspects were picked up on Saturday by police for interrogation.

He said a criminal case No. 71(07)20 has been registered at Laban Police Station under sections 326/307/506/34 IPC.

 “Statements of the victims as well as the bystanders have been recorded and further investigation of the case is in progress,” Iangrai said, while appealing to all witnesses to come forward in helping the investigation team to ascertain the facts and circumstances of the case and most importantly, to help in identifying the perpetrators of the crime.

“The identity of those who are willing to help the police team will be kept as confidential and will not be disclosed,” the police official assured.

Condemning the barbaric attack, BJP Meghalaya State president Ernest Mawrie urged upon the State government to take stringent action against those people who take law into their own hands.

 “ This is the duty bound of the State government to see that  no one violates the SOP for COVID-19 instead of individuals or groups taking the law into their own hand,” Mawrie said.

Mawrie further appealed to the citizens of Meghalaya in general and Shillong in particular to strictly follow the health protocol as the cases in the State are increasing. 


-Tags:#Conrad

Launched on December 3,1990. Nagaland Post is the first and highest circulated newspaper of Nagaland state. Nagaland Post is also the first newspaper in Nagaland to be published in multi-colour.

Desk:+91-3862-248 489, e-mail: npdesk@gmail.com Fax: +91-3862-248 500
Advt.:+91-3862-248 267, e-mail:npostadvt@gmail.com

QUICK LINKS

SUNDAY POST

Join us on

© Nagaland Post 2018. All Rights are Reserved
Designed by : 4C Plus