International

COVID-19: 1,560 arrested for fake items

COVID-19: 1,560 arrested for fake items
A woman and child shown the way to a screening area as they arrived at Kuala Lumpur Intl Airport in Sepang, Malaysia. (AP)
Beijing, Feb 26 (IANS) | Publish Date: 2/26/2020 10:06:27 AM IST

Public security authorities across China have handled around 22,000 criminal cases related to the novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19) as of Monday, a media report quoted the Ministry of Public Security.

A total of 4,260 suspects implicated in the cases have been detained, Vice Minister Du Hangwei was quoted by Xinhua as saying at a press conference on Wednesday.

So far, police have cracked 688 cases involving the production and sale of counterfeit and shoddy protective materials, with more than 1,560 suspects apprehended and over 31 million fake or inferior face masks seized, Du said.

A total of 49 police officers and auxiliary police officers across the country sacrificed their lives while on duty during the epidemic outbreak, said Du.

He added that public security agencies will continue to crack down on crimes, including interfering with transportation and logistics, price gouging and disrupting the production order.

Du also urged police officers to avoid violence in enforcing laws and carry out investigations in strict accordance with the law.

Police officers should crack down on illegal activities severely hindering epidemic control or business resumption while educating those involved in minor cases, Du added.

South Korean virus cases jump again; 1st US soldier infected
SEOUL, FEB 26 (AP):  South Korean virus cases jumped again on Wednesday and the US military confirmed its first case among American soldiers based in the Asian country, with his case and many others connected to a southeastern city with a growing illness cluster. South Korea’s Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said 216 of the 284 new cases were in Daegu, where the government has been mobilizing public health tools to contain the spread of the outbreak, and in neighbouring towns.
The US military said the 23-year-old soldier was in self-quarantine at his off-base residence. He had been based in Camp Carroll in a town near Daegu, and visited both Carroll and nearby Camp Walker in recent days, according to the statement. South Korean authorities and US military health professionals were tracing his contacts to determine if other people may have been exposed. About 28,500 US troops are stationed in South Korea as deterrence against potential aggression from North Korea. United States Forces Korea previously said a widowed dependent had the virus, the first case involving a USFK-related individual. South Korea’s 600,000-member military has reported 18 cases and quarantined thousands of soldiers as a precaution. Bowling alleys, movie theatres and a golf course at four US bases were closed after the soldier’s case was confirmed, Colonel Edward Ballanco, commander of the US Army Garrison Daegu, said. All restaurants at the bases, and at Camp George in Daegu, could now provide only takeout meals with soldiers and family members prohibited from dining there, he said.
“This is a setback, it’s true, there’s no getting around that, but it’s not the end of the war,” he said on a video message posted on Facebook.
South Korea now has 1,261 confirmed infections of the virus and 11 fatalities from the COVID-19 illness it causes. The national government has been channelling medical personnel, protective suits and other supplies to Daegu, and there are concerns the local hospitals are being overwhelmed and fatigued doctors are becoming vulnerable to infections.
Teacher confirmed as first French coronavirus victim
Paris, Feb 26 (AFP):  A 60-year-old teacher has become the first French casualty of the coronavirus, the health ministry announced on Wednesday.   The man died overnight in a Paris hospital, bringing the coronavirus death toll in the country to two, said the ministry’s deputy head Jerome Salomon. 
The first victim was an 80-year-old Chinese tourist who died in hospital in mid-February. The latest victim, who worked at a junior-high school in the town of Crepy-en-Valois, about 80 kilometres (50 miles) northeast of Paris, is not believed to have travelled to an area affected by the global coronavirus outbreak, the education ministry said. Le Parisien newspaper quoted the mayor of the teacher’s hometown of Vaumoise as saying he had “begun to feel ill at the start of the (mid-term) holidays and had been quickly hospitalised.” Classes are due to resume in northern France on Monday.
France has reported four other new cases of COVID-19 in the past 24 hours -- two in people returning from hard-hit Italy -- bringing the total number of infections to 17. Eleven other people have recovered in France from the disease which has killed more than 2,600 people worldwide and infected almost 80,000 others, mainly in China.
12th coronavirus death in Italy
Rome, Feb 26 (AFP):  Italy saw a fresh jump in the number of cases of the new coronavirus on Wednesday, with another death also reported to bring the total to 12 and 374 infections.
  The new toll published by the country’s civil protection department is a jump from the 322 cases and 10 deaths recorded on Tuesday evening.
All of those who have died so far in Italy were either elderly or had pre-existing medical conditions. 

-Tags:#COVID-19

Launched on December 3,1990. Nagaland Post is the first and highest circulated newspaper of Nagaland state. Nagaland Post is also the first newspaper in Nagaland to be published in multi-colour.

Desk:+91-3862-248 489, e-mail: npdesk@gmail.com Fax: +91-3862-248 500
Advt.:+91-3862-248 267, e-mail:npostadvt@gmail.com

QUICK LINKS

SUNDAY POST

Join us on

© Nagaland Post 2018. All Rights are Reserved
Designed by : 4C Plus