National

COVID-19 cases climb to 34 in India

Spl. Correspondent/Agencies NEW DELHI/GUWAHATI, MAR 7 (NPN) | Publish Date: 3/7/2020 12:15:20 PM IST

Three more cases have been found positive for COVID-19. These include two from Ladakh with travel history to Iran and one from Tamil Nadu with travel history to Oman. With these new cases, total number of confirmed cases now stands at 34 in the country. 

According to the health ministry, 31 cases were being treated in hospitals and were stable. It may be mentioned that the earlier three from Kerala have been discharged. Concerning the American national found positive in Bhutan, the ministry said that more than 150 contacts have been put under IDSP surveillance.

In addition, 108 samples have been received from Iran Saturday morning, the ministry said, adding that those samples were being tested at the laboratory in AIIMS. Also, six scientists from the Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR) have been stationed in Iran. Equipment and reagents, worth approximately Rs.10 crores have been dispatched to enable them to setup a lab there, the health ministry stated.

PM directs officials: As the government stepped up efforts to combat COVID-19, the Prime Minister Narendra Modi directing officials to identify places for sufficient quarantine facilities and make provisions for critical care.

Modi, who reviewed the coronavirus situation in the country at a meeting with officials of all ministries and departments concerned, also directed them to identify locations for sufficient quarantine facilities.

He told them that in view of expert opinion, people should be advised to avoid mass gatherings as much as possible and made aware of the do’s and don’ts. While complimenting all departments for the work done so far, Modi stressed that as the coronavirus scenario evolves, India has to be prepared in its response.

Assam sounds high alert; 127 people quarantined

 The Assam government has sounded high alert across the state after a person tested positive for coronavirus in Bhutan, after travelling from Assam.
On Friday, the Bhutan Prime Minister’s Office confirmed the report and said that one case of COVID-19 was confirmed at 11 p.m. on March 5 and the result was validated at 12:30 a.m. on March 6.
According to the report, the patient is 76-year-old, from the US and had entered Bhutan from Paro-International Airport, after embarking Drukair flight from Guwahati in Assam on March 2.
The US tourist had also spent a few days in Assam and took a 7-day Brahmaputra river cruise before leaving for Bhutan. The Assam government has identified as many as 127 people who have come in contact with the US tourist and they are being quarantined.
Assam Minister of State for Health Pijush Hazarika said: “We have identified all hotels, resort and the particular cruise where he stayed. We have also identified as many as 127 people who had come in contact with him and they are being quarantined.”
“The US tourist reached in Jorhat on February 22 and left for Bhutan on March 2. We are very serious over the issue. Till now, no positive case has been identified in our state. We are seriously monitoring the overall situation. The entire floor of the hotel in Guwahati has been isolated where he stayed,” Pijush Hazarika said.
Pijush Hazarika also said that one more foreign tourist is being quarantined in the Sonitpur district of Tezpur and took his blood sample on Friday.
Hazarika further said that the state government has taken preventive measures at all the land ports bordering with Bhutan and Bangladesh and has even deployed medical teams in the areas and screened all people coming from the neighbouring countries.
According to the reports, as many as 585 people have been screened in six airports of the state.
Hazarika said that out of 585 people, 265 people have been screened at Guwahati airport -- 222 at Dibrugarh, 21 at Raroia airport in Jorhat, 7 at Silchar, 25 at Lilabari airport in Lakhimpur and 44 at Salanibari airport in Tezpur.
Hazarika also said that out of people screened, 112 passengers came from outside of India like China, Thailand, Hong Kong, Dubai, Singapore.
Meanwhile, the Assam government has directed all district administration and health department officials to take all preventive measures.
 
 

Launched on December 3,1990. Nagaland Post is the first and highest circulated newspaper of Nagaland state. Nagaland Post is also the first newspaper in Nagaland to be published in multi-colour.

Desk:+91-3862-248 489, e-mail: npdesk@gmail.com Fax: +91-3862-248 500
Advt.:+91-3862-248 267, e-mail:npostadvt@gmail.com

QUICK LINKS

SUNDAY POST

Join us on

© Nagaland Post 2018. All Rights are Reserved
Designed by : 4C Plus