Regional

COVID-19: Manipur orders closure of schools till Mar 31

Correspondent IMPHAL, Mar 12 | Publish Date: 3/12/2020 12:10:40 PM IST

Amit Shah’s visit to Manipur postponed

Stepping up precautionary measures to prevent spread of COVID-19, Manipur government has ordered closure of all schools and restricted mass gatherings of more than 100 persons with effect from Thursday.

The proposed visit of Union home minister Amit Shah to the state has also been postponed to April 15. In its intensified measures to prevent the spread of novel corona virus, Manipur government had already sealed the international border with Myanmar. Stepping up further preventive measures, Manipur government declared holiday for all schools till March 31 in the public interest. 

Examination already scheduled including theory and practical of exam conducted by Board of Secondary Education Mainpur (BOSEM) and Council of Higher Secondary Schools (COHSEM) will however not be affected, an order issued by the state education department said.

Commissioner (schools) T Ranjit Singh issued on Thursday stated the step has been taken up to ensure reduction of mass gatherings and to avoid spread of COVID-19 coupled with other precautionary measures taken up in the state, adding that private schools will also be covered by the order.

The state government has also banned any gathering of more than 100 persons except for family rituals like marriage, shradha etc in the state.

For any such gathering, prior approval of the deputy commission concerned must be obtained, the home department stated, adding  that DCs may consider the request and grant permission in case of unavoidable circumstances and should not grant permission as a routine.

The home department stated restriction has been imposed considering the need to take up necessary measures to reduce mass gatherings to prevent spread of COVID-19 in the state.

All public meetings, conference, workshops, conventions etc. should be avoided in view of the threat of COVID-19, the home department added.

The steps have been taken up in line with a recent advisory of the Union ministry of health and family welfare on March 5 asking states to avoid mass gatherings, while also issuing  office memorandum asking DCs of all districts to take appropriate action.

Meanwhile, the proposed visit of Union home minister Amit Shah to the state has been postponed to  April 15. He was scheduled to visit the state on March 15 to attend a  programme to mark the completion of  three years of the BJP-led coalition government in the state. The state government has requested the Union home minister to postpone his proposed visit as the state government is concerned about public health. 

The IPR minister who is also a spokesperson of the government also made a fervent appeal to people of the state to reduce mass gathering, especially during Thabal Chongba considering  the fast spread of COVID-19 in the country.

Although there is no confirmed case of COVID-19 in the state as of now, the state government has taken up certain steps in the border areas and the state’s airport, including screening people entering the state. 

Informing that the World Health Organisation (WHO) has declared the COVID-19 a pandemic considering its seriousness, the minister said that the government of India has also suspended tourist visa into the country till April 15.


-Tags:#COVID-19

Launched on December 3,1990. Nagaland Post is the first and highest circulated newspaper of Nagaland state. Nagaland Post is also the first newspaper in Nagaland to be published in multi-colour.

Desk:+91-3862-248 489, e-mail: npdesk@gmail.com Fax: +91-3862-248 500
Advt.:+91-3862-248 267, e-mail:npostadvt@gmail.com

QUICK LINKS

SUNDAY POST

Join us on

© Nagaland Post 2018. All Rights are Reserved
Designed by : 4C Plus