State

COVID-19: Rio asks people to be on guard but not complacent

COVID-19: Rio asks people to be on guard but not complacent
Neiphiu Rio (DIPR)
DIMAPUR, MAR 23 (NPN) | Publish Date: 3/23/2020 12:20:32 PM IST

 Assures citizens enough stock of essentials in state

Nagaland chief minister Neiphiu Rio asserted that Nagaland did not have any confirmed case of novel coronavirus so far but cautioned citizens against becoming complacent or lowering their guard. 

Addressing people of Nagaland on COVID-19 from chief minister’s secretariat at Kohima on Monday, Rio assured that there was no need to panic but that everyone had to remain alert and cautious to ensure that no one was infected. 

He mentioned that the next few weeks would be crucial in the fight to defeat COVID-19 but expressed the hope that with the active participation of each and everyone, these difficult times could be overcome together. Rio also appealed to all people, particularly students coming from outside the State to first stay in private areas or buildings for quarantine. He said, in order to cater to the incoming travellers, Niathu Resort, Dimapur and Cricket Academy, Sovima have also been kept ready. 

He stressed that these were extraordinary times and called for unity in order to face the challenge under a spirit of oneness. “Every citizen is a member of team Nagaland and together we will overcome the hurdles that lie ahead,” he added. 

Rio also assured the citizens that there was no shortage of essential commodities in all the districts and urged the public not to panic. Observing that COVID-19 pandemic was sweeping the whole world, Rio sought co-operation and support from every citizen in adhering to all steps and preventive measures being taken by the State government to prevent and contain spread of the virus. 

He claimed that the medical department and all health personnel were working day in and out in taking measures to prevent spread of the virus, adding the department was fully prepared for providing care and requisite medical assistance to anyone in the event of any eventuality. 

Stating that the State government had issued many instructions and was adopting various steps like restricting public movement, closure of public places and other such containment measures, the chief minister also extended his appreciation to the people for their enthusiasm in cooperating with the government and sought continued cooperation in order to defeat the threat posed by COVID-19. 

Further, Rio appealed to all sections of people across India to be sensitive towards all communities and refrain from ostracisation, racial profiling and discrimination at this crucial juncture when novel coronavirus was sweeping the whole world. 

This assumes significance following reports of some people of the Northeast, including Nagaland, being allegedly subjected to ostracisation, racial profiling and discrimination in some States following outbreak of COVID-19 pandemic. 

He urged the people of Nagaland to adopt best practises of personal hygiene and social distancing as recommended by health authorities, besides maintaining vigil and helping authorities in preventing rumours and fake news from being spread. Earlier, addressing the district task forces (DTFs) during the video conference Rio directed the force lead by respective DC’s to play a crucial role in disseminating information and monitoring the situation without any complacency.

He also instructed DCs to direct the village guards to seal the eastern borders especially the international borders.

DTFs also appraised Rio about the action and measures taken by the teams.

Rio assured the DTFs that their concerns and request will be taken up by the government and urged them to work tirelessly in the fight against the virus. 

Addressing the officials, chief secretary Temjen Toy said all the inputs shared by DTFs were noted and necessary action will be taken. 

He said that the common concern in all districts like shortages of ventilators, PPE’s, mask sanitizers etc. will be addressed, adding the shortage is not only in Nagaland but across the country. He also added that the government had shared the concern with the Centre and efforts were on to make the items available to all the states.

 

Launched on December 3,1990. Nagaland Post is the first and highest circulated newspaper of Nagaland state. Nagaland Post is also the first newspaper in Nagaland to be published in multi-colour.

Desk:+91-3862-248 489, e-mail: npdesk@gmail.com Fax: +91-3862-248 500
Advt.:+91-3862-248 267, e-mail:npostadvt@gmail.com

QUICK LINKS

SUNDAY POST

Join us on

© Nagaland Post 2018. All Rights are Reserved
Designed by : 4C Plus