FC Goa beat Kerala blasters 3-1 for its 1st win

MARGAO/ BAMBOLIM (GOA), DEC 6 (IANS) | Publish Date: 12/6/2020 12:55:09 PM IST

A brace from Igor Angulo, with the second goal coming in stoppage time from a blunder by Kerala Blasters goalkeeper, and a solitary goal from Jorge Mendoza helped FC Goa beat Kerala Blasters 3-1 in the Indian Super League (ISL) at the Fatorda Stadium on Sunday.

Vincente Gomez scored for Kerala just before Angulo ended any hopes they got of getting something from the match. FC Goa have thus secured their first win of the season. Goa coach Juan Ferrando made two changes to the side that was held by NorthEast United as James Donachie and Alexander Jesuraj were included. Nishu Kumar, Gomez and Nongdamba Naorem returned to the starting eleven for Kerala.

The first big chance for the 2019/20 ISL Shield winners arrived early in the 10th minute when Mendonza beat Nishu to take control of a long ball and fired a shot from outside the box, only to see his effort hit the crossbar.

The home side came close to grabbing the lead once again seven minutes later, only to be denied by the post. A miscued pass from Rohit Kumar put Angulo through on goal. The striker, with only the keeper to beat, attempted to curl his shot into the bottom corner but it struck the far post. 

However, Angulo soon made up for the missed opportunity around the half-hour mark as he put Goa ahead. Gama flicked the ball towards Angulo in the box and the striker delightfully dinked it over Kerala goalkeeper Albino Gomes to bag his fourth goal of the season.

Goa returned hungrier after the break and continued to pile on the pressure. Their efforts soon bore fruit as they doubled their lead through Mendoza. 

The forward received the ball outside the box and traded a lovely one-two with Brandon Fernandes before burying his shot into the far corner.

Kerala pushed hard in search of a goal and came close in the 67th minute. Gomez won the ball inside the box but saw his shot rattle the underside of the crossbar. Kibu Vicuna’s side threatened on quite a few occasions but were unable to find the back of the net. 

When a goal did arrive for them, the contest had already been settled in Goa’s favour. Nishu whipped a cross for Gomez, whose header snuck into goal after brushing the underside of the crossbar.

Kerala captain Costa Nhamoinesu was given his marching orders late on during injury time after being shown a second yellow card, following a rash tackle on Princeton Rebello. Seconds later, Gomes grabbed the ball and rolled it ahead in a bid to kick it long but was unaware of Angulo nearby. 

Mumbai City beat wasteful Odisha 2-0

Mumbai City FC continued their impressive start to the Indian Super League (ISL) with a 2-0 victory over Odisha FC at the GMC Stadium on Sunday.

A penalty from Batholomew Ogbeche (30’) and a header from Rowllin Borges (45’) gave Sergio Lobera’s men their third win in four games and their first-win ever over Odisha in the league. 

The win sent them top of the table, level on points with ATK Mohun Bagan, albeit with a better goal difference. For their opponents, this was their third loss in four games and only point-less SC East Bengal lie below Stuart Baxter’s side.

Apart from not being able to hold on to the ball for long durations, Odisha also suffered from players taking shots too early instead of looking for creating easier chances. 

While Odisha had just one shot lesser than Mumbai overall, only one of the six shots they had were on target. Out of the rest of the five, three were taken from outside the box.

Mumbai predictably started the game spraying around passes and enjoying most of the ball. But it was Odisha who enjoyed the first real chance of the match, in the fourth minute, when Diego Mauricio’s freekick clipped the top of the crossbar. But that was about as good as it got for Odisha in the first half.

Mumbai’s first clear-cut opportunity came in the 18th minute when Ahmed Jahouh found Cy Goddard down the right. Goddard only had keeper Kamaljit Singh to beat but his shot went over the bar.

Twelve minutes later though, Mumbai had their goal. Vignesh Dakshina Murthy’s attempted cross from the edge of the box struck Shubham Sarangi’s hand and the referee promptly pointed to the spot. Ogbeche stepped up and fired a low shot to the left, which a diving Kamaljit could not get his fingers to. It was the third penalty Odisha had conceded this season and the second mistake that Sarangi had committed, which had led to a goal.

Just four minutes later, Mumbai thought they had scored again when Mourtada Fall headed in Jahouh’s freekick at the far-post. However, the referee disallowed the goal, adjudging that there had been a foul on keeper Kamaljit. The latter, who fell awkwardly, was substituted after a suspected concussion and Odisha’s reserve keeper Ravi Kumar came on in his stead.

Hugo Boumous missed a great chance to score in the 43rd minute, firing wide from Bipin Singh’s pass. But Mumbai had their second a couple of minutes later. Bipin, again, fired in a great cross into the box which Borges headed past Kumar.

Mumbai had ended the first period with 62 per cent of the possession and the second half saw more of the same. Odisha managed to create precious little save a couple of freekicks and a few corners.

Monday’s Match 

Jamshedpur Vs ATK Mohun Bagan

Time: 7:30 PM


Launched on December 3,1990. Nagaland Post is the first and highest circulated newspaper of Nagaland state. Nagaland Post is also the first newspaper in Nagaland to be published in multi-colour.

Desk:+91-3862-248 489, e-mail: Fax: +91-3862-248 500
Advt.:+91-3862-248 267,



Join us on

© Nagaland Post 2018. All Rights are Reserved
Designed by : 4C Plus