International

First COVID case recorded one year ago on Nov 17

BEIJING, NOV 17 (AGENCIES) | Publish Date: 11/17/2020 1:20:25 PM IST

One year ago, the novel virus Covid-19 was first recorded as having infected a human, marking the start of a global pandemic that has so far killed 1.33 million people and infected 55.1 million. 

According to records from the Chinese government, the first case of coronavirus was on November 17, 2019, weeks before authorities announced a new disease. Documents seen by The South China Morning Post earlier this year suggested this date was based on Chinese government data. This first infected person – coined “patient zero” – is thought to have been a 55-year-old Hubei resident, but this is yet to be confirmed.
Meanwhile, the Chinese government did not officially identify a positive case of coronavirus until 8 December 2019, and has since been widely criticised over attempts to cover up the virus during its early weeks of transmission.
The leaked government records have not been released to the public, yet provide valuable insight for scientists into early transmissions of coronavirus, generally thought to have jumped from an animal into humans. Since the epidemic was first reported in Wuhan in January, scientists have been attempting to trace the original source of coronavirus through these early infections and any other undocumented cases. 
Chinese authorities identified at least 266 people who were infected with Covid-19 and under medical surveillance at some point last year. Only in late December did Chinese doctors allegedly realise they were dealing with a novel disease, according to interviews with whistle-blowers from the medical community.
Medical staff in Wuhan toward the end of last year treated dozens of patients suffering from what appeared like pneumonia of an unknown cause. The patients suffered from a range of symptoms including high fever, coughing and respiratory problems.
None of the first nine cases reported in November were confirmed to be “patient zero” and, according to The Post, there may be reported cases that date back earlier than those documented.
The records seen by The Post suggest from the moment the 55-year-old from Hubei was detected on 17 November, one to five new cases of coronavirus were reported each day for a month.
There were 27 infections by December 15 and the first double-digit daily rise was logged on December 17. By December 20 the total number of confirmed cases had reached 60, according to the documents.
On December 27 when more than 180 people had already been infected, Zhang Jixian, a doctor from Hubei Provincial Hospital of Integrated Chinese and Western Medicine, informed China’s health authorities that the new disease was the novel coronavirus.
Jixian later told Chinese state-run news agency Xinhua in April that the illness “looked like flu or common pneumonia.” By January 1, 2020, there were 381 confirmed cases.
According to the World Health Organisation, the first coronavirus case in China was on December 8, however the global body does not track the disease itself but relies on nations to provide their own information.
Meanwhile, in more contradictory documents, a report published in the medical journal The Lancet logged the earliest patient from December 1 in Jinyintan Hospital in Wuhan while doctors in Wuhan said they weren’t aware of the disease until late December.
Mid-way through January, health authorities in Wuhan were still claiming that there were just 41 confirmed cases of coronavirus.
 

-Tags:#COVID

Launched on December 3,1990. Nagaland Post is the first and highest circulated newspaper of Nagaland state. Nagaland Post is also the first newspaper in Nagaland to be published in multi-colour.

Desk:+91-3862-248 489, e-mail: npdesk@gmail.com Fax: +91-3862-248 500
Advt.:+91-3862-248 267, e-mail:npostadvt@gmail.com

QUICK LINKS

SUNDAY POST

Join us on

© Nagaland Post 2018. All Rights are Reserved
Designed by : 4C Plus