Regional

Gauhati HC grants bail to detained war veteran

Gauhati HC grants bail to detained war veteran
Mohammad Sanaullah (File)
New Delhi, Jun 7 (Agencies) | Publish Date: 6/7/2019 12:46:18 PM IST

Lawyer of retired Army Officer Mohammad Sanaullah who was declared foreigner and detained by Assam Police will be released after the Guwahati High Court passed an order of interim bail. The decorated former Army officer will be released from the detention centre with a condition of Rs 20,000 bail bound, two local sureties and his bio-metrics will also be taken before release.

This new development comes after senior advocate Indira Jaisingh appeared for Sanaullah before the Guwahati High Court.

Aman Wadud who is representing the ex-Army officer said that he was confident of the victory in the court and claimed that the investigating officer said he never investigated or inquired Sanaullah.

“We’ve made him a party. The case doesn’t stand because he was never investigated. Border Police had filed a false case against him,” said Wadud.

The decorated former army officer was sent to a detention camp after a foreigners’ tribunal labelled him a ‘foreigner’ in Assam.

Sanaullah, who had won a President’s medal, is currently serving as assistant sub-inspector (ASI) in border police.

Earlier, Guwahati-based Defence PRO, Lt. Col. P. Khongsai said that as per the norm followed in the Defence Ministry every person enrolled in the security force has to go through mandatory police verification before his attestation.

Saying that there is no enrolment in defence services without verification the PRO said that they are doing everything to help the family.

Sanaullah’s wife Sanima Begum claims that her husband appeared before the Tribunal five times and submitted all the documents.

“In 2018, my husband came to know that his name did not figure in the draft National Register of Citizens (NRC) published by the Assam government. When he inquired about this, he was told that there is a case pending against him in the Foreigners Tribunal,” said Sanima Begum.

As per the National Register of Citizens (NRC) names of 40 lakh people have not been included in the draft list published last year in July.

 

Launched on December 3,1990. Nagaland Post is the first and highest circulated newspaper of Nagaland state. Nagaland Post is also the first newspaper in Nagaland to be published in multi-colour.

Desk:+91-3862-248 489, e-mail: npdesk@gmail.com Fax: +91-3862-248 500
Advt.:+91-3862-2482 267, e-mail:npostadvt@gmail.com

QUICK LINKS

SUNDAY POST

Join us on

© Nagaland Post 2018. All Rights are Reserved
Designed by : 4C Plus