Regional

HC orders security for injured women activists

Correspondent SHILLONG, NOV 16 | Publish Date: 11/16/2018 12:05:34 PM IST

The Meghalaya High Court on Thursday directed the State’s Director General of Police, R. Chandranathan to ensure protection and security for frontline women’s rights activist, Agnes Kharshiing and her aide Amita Sangma after they were brutally attacked.

On the other hand, the Meghalaya Assembly Committee on Women Empowerment will ask Deputy Commissioner and Superintendent of Police in-charge East Jaiñtia Hills to appear the Assembly panel on November 26 in connection with the attack.
Sangma has filed a petition in the High Court and demanded the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) to probe into the  attack on her and Kharshiing by members of the coal mafia at Tuber Sohshrieh, a coal belt area in East Jaintia Hills district on November 8.
In his order, Chief Justice Mohammad Yaqoob Mir noted that the petitioners have prayed for investigation by the CBI as they have the apprehensions of being eliminated by the miscreants who attacked them.
“The case has been registered bit it is projected that the investigation of the case is not being carried out into its real spirit giving apprehension to the petitioners about hoodwinking of the case,” the Court order stated.
Moreover, the Court has asked the investigating officer to file the latest status of investigation so far carried out and to remain present in the Court along with the case diary on November 27.
Chief Minister Conrad Sangma had said that he will consult his cabinet colleagues on whether the murder attempt on Kharshiing warrants a judicial or CBI probe.
Kharshiing, who was admitted to super-specialty North East Indira Gandhi Regional of Health and Medical Sciences (NEIGRIHMS) hospital following the attack on her life, is “off the ventilator and improving”, a hospital spokesperson said.
The frontline woman activists and her aide were brutally attacked after the activist lodged a complaint on the illegal mining and transportation of coal in the district.
The National Green Tribunal (NGT) had ordered an interim ban on “rat-hole” coal mining in Meghalaya from April 17, 2014, after the All Dimasa Students’ Union and the Dima Hasao District Committee filed an application before it, alleging that the water of the Kopili river was turning acidic due to coal mining in the Jaintia Hills.

Launched on December 3,1990. Nagaland Post is the first and highest circulated newspaper of Nagaland state. Nagaland Post is also the first newspaper in Nagaland to be published in multi-colour.

Desk:+91-3862-248 489, e-mail: npdesk@gmail.com Fax: +91-3862-248 500
Advt.:+91-3862-2482 267, e-mail:npostadvt@gmail.com
© Nagaland Post 2018. All Rights are Reserved
Designed by : 4C Plus