Regional

Imphal womenfolk hold protest against blast

Imphal womenfolk hold protest against blast
Women of Imphal locality protesting against bomb blast at thickly populated area on Saturday. (NP)
Correspondent IMPHAL, Jan 5 | Publish Date: 1/5/2019 12:08:33 PM IST

‘Do not trigger bombs at highly populated areas,’ read of the placard displayed by womenfolk of a locality in Imphal who staged a protest against bomb blast in their locality on Friday evening.

On Friday, around 5.30 pm, a hand grenade suspected to be hurled by militants exploded at Yaiskul locality located in the heart of capital city.

Another IED placed nearby the site where the blast took place failed to explode. It was later safely defused by experts of the state police bomb detection and disposal squad.

Police suspected that the hand grenade and the IED targeted a class-I contractor, Yumnam Tomba, after examining a CCTV installed at the main entrance gate of the contractor.

Police said that one of two miscreants who came on a Activa brand scooter together placed the IED at the site while the other lobbed the hand grenade towards the house of the first class contractor.

No casualty was reported in the blast. However, some locals escaped with impact from the blast, locals alleged.

Alleging that the blast was triggered while many locals were nearby, womenfolk of the locality questioned the motive behind triggering blast at the heavily populated area.

The womenfolk who staged a sit-in-protest against the blast said that they were against any form of violence whether the explosives targeted an individual or the local people.

They worried what would happen if the IED was happened to explode.

Talking to reporters, Yumnam Bimolata Devi, local meira paibi (women torch bearers) leader strongly denounced the blast in the congested area.

Many people including children used to go passing the site and if the IED happened to explode casualty would have been inflicted to a good number of people.

If any of the revolutionary group was responsible for the blast, it was strongly condemnable.

She asserted that any misunderstanding can be settled through talks either with the person whom they target or through local meira paibi group without violence while asserting that such an incident was not only a threat to the family of the individual who was targeted but also to the locals. 

Meanwhile, Yumnam Basanta, the first class contractor denied he having enmity with any revolutionary group and even if militant targeted him, it could have cost the lives of many. So, he will not accept such act.

No ransom or extortion threat was received by him from any revolutionary or militant group so far as his knowledge was concerned, he added. 

He said that from the CCTV camera footage, it was revealed that the two miscreants placed the bag containing the IED first nearby his gate and after moving away few meters one of them hurled a hand grenade towards his gate. 

Launched on December 3,1990. Nagaland Post is the first and highest circulated newspaper of Nagaland state. Nagaland Post is also the first newspaper in Nagaland to be published in multi-colour.

Desk:+91-3862-248 489, e-mail: npdesk@gmail.com Fax: +91-3862-248 500
Advt.:+91-3862-2482 267, e-mail:npostadvt@gmail.com
© Nagaland Post 2018. All Rights are Reserved
Designed by : 4C Plus