Post Mortem

In comemoration of ‘1st Indo-Naga battle 1955’

By Nagaland Post | Publish Date: 6/27/2019 12:21:35 PM IST

 (Released by- Eastern Sumi Student Union)

This battle resounds the memory of the Nagas in general towards its long cherished dreams for the cause of Sovereign Naga Nation. The Free-Nagas or the term used by Non-Nagas or Indians were “AzadI’’ that commonly used till NEFA areas were brought under the Govt. administrative set up that was way back to 1970’s. Many Naga- Scholars have come up with the books on the insurgence of Indo-Naga political upheavals since the birth and formation of NNC 1946, but the very Pioneering episode of the ‘Battle’ that took place in Hoshepu Range with its Naga Safe Guard (the first arm-wing) Head Quarter at Khekiye Village under Aghunato Area that started war with the mighty Indian Army forces was not found recorded or mentioned. 
Aghunato area presently under Zunheboto district was once upon a time a slashed portion of Free Naga under NEFA till it was brought under Naga Hills Tuensang Area (NHTA). Some eventful
months and date of the year from 1950 to 23rd March’1956 are chronologically indicated for records towards the Indo-Naga Political struggle for Nagas Independence. In the year 1950, Shri. Brigadier Sailo Lushai Political Officer Tuensang under NEFA was given additional charge to supervise the un-controlled and un-administered Aghunato Area. In 1952 May, N.I Jamir was posted as Asst Education Officer cum-APO to supervise and oversee the administrative affairs of Aghunato Area. In 1953, Shri. S.D Ladkar was posted as Asst Political Officer (APO) to take the full charge as administration of Aghunato Area that stretching from Nihoshe Village in the south to Khumishi village on the north without means of connectivity other than foot path. The incumbent officer had struggle with stiff opposition from the public in one hand not to support for opening administration in this so-called Azadi-Naga, and the other hand was the revolutionary movement was at its peak by then. The so-called branded area was a separated block from the rest of Sema (STC) maintaining its identity as Eastern Sema Tribal Council (ESTC) with its elected President K. Hutovi Yepthomi of Yemishe Village who established its Head Quarter at Khekiye Village. In 1954 15thMarch, Yimchunger Tribe Council (YTC) was formed at Chipong Village, in which Lakimong of Shotokur was elected its President. In 10th April’ 1955, Naga Army Post was opened at Ngozubo Village after Khekiye Village. In 1954, 14-16thMay, Yemishe Village hosted NNC Summit under the aegis of ESTC was held. NNC President ,A.Z Phizo could not turn up, however Vice President Imkongliba and General Secretary J.B Jasokie along with other dignitaries and all the Tribal Presidents and deligates were present. In which about 500 delegates from Free Nagas were present. In 10thAugust’54, on a political mission journey towards the Eastern Nagas A.Z Phizo came to Ngozuto village escorded by Ivulho of Lazami and Luzukhu of Baimho village the forerunners of Naga Independence. It was learnt that the political journey towards Free Nagas land took him months and returned by the last month of the year. In 18th Feb’55, the ESTC delegates went to Kigwema Village to meet A.Z Phizo with a mission to seek permission to start war with the occupational forces, accordingly it was approved as demanded by free Naga delegates.
 On 5th April 1955, a great Summit was called by Free Naga at Khekiye Village, the first Armed Wing called “ Naga Safe Guard ” was formed which was formerly termed ‘Eastern War Group ’ under ESTC. In this Summit of Free Nagas, Shri. Kaito of Ghukhuyi attended along with ten brave soldiers who arrived from Kohima on request- who was unanimously appointed as General, Naga Safe Guard (NSG) followed by the appointment of down line rankings. The meeting was mostly attended by Sumi of Free Nagas of ESTC delegates, others from Yimchunger and Sangtam Tribe in particular. On 18th May’1955, the NSG & ESTC delegates set out their second journey to meet NNC Officials by name viz; A.Z Phizo NNC President, Theheselie NNC Secretary & J.B Jasokie Gen. Secretary at Kohima to apprise them of the outcome of the meeting of Free Nagas at Village Khekiye. To which they heartily wished the people a victory and a blessed one. In this mission the NNC Officials also assured the people that once the war started the rest 15 tribes will also be joined and follow up towards the cause of the Naga nation. Sh. J.B Jasokie donated Rifles-2 nos, Tommy Gun- 1 No and 1000 rounds of Tommy Gun and 250 rounds of Rifles to General Kaito Ghukhuyi. On 27.5.1955, the Free Naga delegates have returned at its HQ from their mission trip. It was informed that the NNC President had convened a general meeting with all the tribal Presidents and its delegates at Kohima on 2.6.1955 as assured and thereby resolved to start war with the occupational forces that started first from the soil of Free Nagas. In a quick response to the approval of war with the occupational forces, the first ever incident was taken place at Hukiur Village on 15.03.1955 at 3:30PM, under the command of Hopong Vice President Yimchunger, in which three volunteers by name; Hothrong, Samphu and Tomkam chop off the heads of three Assam Rifles and the fourth prey was excaped with deep enjury while they were on their evening leisure time enjoying local brew wine sitting idle with the villagers. This had sparked a quick retaliate from Assam Rifles and avenged by killing 3 villagers by name; Pomchi Village Chief, Shokha and Pomba of Yimchunger followed by burning of Houses and granaries of Hukiur and Iponger Villages to ashes. Other Villages that burn to ashes as per the record were; Tsashier, Kisuri and Shibonger.
General Kaito of Ghukhuyi was truly born a military genius through the record of his life accounts. He took a supreme Cammander as Naga Safe Guard (first Armed Wing ) in the war against the occupational forces. He made a strategic plan to command armed NSG and Volunteers troops to rebuff against the mighty Indian armed forces. He plan out the war with group leader in to four stratified groups. In retaliations, in a quick succession started from 21.4.’55 the NSG army and the volunteers started ambushed attacks and counter-attacks with the Indian Army forces. All total of attack and counter-attacks till the final battle that culminate from 4th Sept’1955 to 10th Sept’55 of 7 days war that counts to 11 times.
The Indian Army Battalions that involves in the battles were 17 BN Rajput Regiment, 3 BN Assam Rifles along with other Battalions with approximate numbers of 5 thousand in numbers took the mission to suppress the group of mutiny for Naga-Independence. As per the records, during the period of Naga Hills, the Indian Army was under the command of Major General Kochar M.C GOC with its HQ at Kohima.
After the bloodiest battle, as per the record from the Living witness who escorted the Army troops to the battle, there was heavy loss of life on the part of Indian Army and few lost their life on the Naga Army side also. In the consequent, the NSG HQ Khekiye Village, houses and granaries were burnt to ashes and the people were scattered and evacuated to neighboring villages and repatriated after gap of 3 years. In the follow up, the three nearby Villages namely; Hoshepu, Khewoto the main defence post and Nihoshe the south defence posts were also burnt and suffered.
Immediately after the battle, General Kaito Ghukhuyi went on hibernate for about 6 months with its designate NSG HQ at Xuivi Village, till 22nd March’56 on which he plan out to attack a Company of Assam Armed Police Post at Satakha. On 22.03.1956, under the Supreme Cammand of General Kaito Ghukhuyi, Maj. General Viniho and Major Yeveto were assigned to take the command to lead the troops to conquer the A.P Post that started on 22nd March’56 and over-powered the post at around 3 PM the next day the 23.03.’56. In this mission attack, a total of 78 Personnel were live cached along with sorted ammunitions were listed as; 2” Mortar with shell – 2 nos, LMG – 2 Nos, Tommy Gun – 1 No, 36 MM Pistol – 1 No, Rifles -72 Nos. The ammunitions were taken recorded by General Kaito and Brigadier- Tokiye. The 78 personnel catched were taken to M-tsugho Village where Angh Kughato Sukhai had taken personnel statement and released unharmed and led them escorted upto Kohima and handed-over to Govt. authorities. 
This is an episode of the Azadi-Naga, branded name given by Indian Army thus having its clean record from 1950 to the Autumn of Sept’1955 that had its great impact in the attack and capturing of 78 Assam Armed Police at Satakha Post along with the sorted ammunitions.
Quote: Deut’ 19:14 (Thou shall not remove thy neighbour’s landmark, which they of old time have set in thine inheritance...) Distortion of the historical facts equals to the removal of historical landmark & record. 
Vinato Z Awomi, 
General Secy., Eastern Sumi Students’ Union
 

Launched on December 3,1990. Nagaland Post is the first and highest circulated newspaper of Nagaland state. Nagaland Post is also the first newspaper in Nagaland to be published in multi-colour.

Desk:+91-3862-248 489, e-mail: npdesk@gmail.com Fax: +91-3862-248 500
Advt.:+91-3862-248 267, e-mail:npostadvt@gmail.com

QUICK LINKS

SUNDAY POST

Join us on

© Nagaland Post 2018. All Rights are Reserved
Designed by : 4C Plus