National

India’s COVID-19 cases rise to 29

India’s COVID-19 cases rise to 29
NEW DELHI, MAR 4 (AGENCIES) | Publish Date: 3/4/2020 12:32:38 PM IST

The number of coronavirus cases in India has risen to 29, including 16 Italians touring through Rajasthan, the government announced on Wednesday as consternation bordering on panic over the contagious disease with flu like symptoms spread across the country.

All international passengers will henceforth be screened at airports, Health Minister Harsh Vardhan said at a press conference. 

With Holi less than a week away on March 10, President Ram Nath Kovind, Prime Minister Narendra Modi, Home Minister Amit Shah and other leaders said they would not celebrate the festival of colours or hold any Holi Milan gathering.

“Experts across the world have advised to reduce mass gatherings to avoid the spread of COVID19 Novel Coronavirus. Hence this year, I have decided not to participate in any ‘Holi milan’ programme,” the Modi tweeted. As the Centre, the Delhi government and several state governments held a flurry of meetings, e-commerce payment system Paytm said an employee in Gurgaon has tested positive for the coronavirus. Health Ministry official also confirmed this as the 29th infected person. 

Talking to media persons, Union Health minister said the government has adopted a cluster approach, as part of which health authorities will check and sensitise every household within a three kilometre radius of the house of the infected person. As Indians all over come to grips with the global epidemic, the health crisis was discussed at a meeting of the Union Cabinet. Union minister Prakash Javadekar said over six lakh people had been screened for coronavirus symptoms in 21 airports. Briefing reporters, Information and Broadcasting minister said more than 10 lakh people entering India from the open borders with Nepal, Bhutan and Myanmar have also been screened.

While only the national virology institute based in Pune is fit for conducting coronavirus tests, the government has now set up 15 more labs and is in the process of establishing 19 additional centres, he said. Many people across the country went into panic mode and started stocking up on hand sanitisers and masks. Many shops, including in the national capital, said stocks of both had run out.

H&FW dispels rumours of COVID-19 case in Kma

DIMAPUR/KOHIMA, MAR 4 (NPN): Following rumours in social media regarding a coronavirus infected person being admitted at Naga Hospital Kohima, Health & Family Welfare department said it was absolutely false and asserted that no COVID-19 case has been reported in Nagaland so far.

H&FW principal director, Dr. Vizolie Soukhrie reiterated that Nagaland has not yet encountered any suspected case nor sent any sample for confirmation. 

The department has therefore appealed to the public to refrain from posting false and fabricated information in relation to COVID-19 in social media. 

When contacted, H&FW deputy director and spokesperson on coronavirus, Dr. Nyan Kikon informed Nagaland Post that all entry points to Nagaland were being strictly monitored since January.

For any queries and verification, the department could be contacted at (24x7) 7005415243, 9856071745 and 7005536953.

State status as on March 4, 2020 

• Total no of travellers under surveillance: 198 

• Total no of travellers kept under home quarantine: 19 ( 9 travellers out of quarantine) 

• No sample processed for testing, as of 6 p.m., March 4, 2020

Launched on December 3,1990. Nagaland Post is the first and highest circulated newspaper of Nagaland state. Nagaland Post is also the first newspaper in Nagaland to be published in multi-colour.

Desk:+91-3862-248 489, e-mail: npdesk@gmail.com Fax: +91-3862-248 500
Advt.:+91-3862-248 267, e-mail:npostadvt@gmail.com

QUICK LINKS

SUNDAY POST

Join us on

© Nagaland Post 2018. All Rights are Reserved
Designed by : 4C Plus