International

Iran’s Rouhani warns Macron of looming nuclear step

Tehran, Sep 1 (AFP) | Publish Date: 9/1/2019 11:20:01 AM IST

President Hassan Rouhani spoke with French counterpart Emmanuel Macron, warning him Iran would take the next step in reducing its nuclear commitments unless Europe lives up to its own undertakings.

Tensions have spiked in the Gulf since May last year when President Donald Trump unilaterally withdrew the US from a nuclear deal between Iran and world powers -- known formally as the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA).

The escalation has seen ships attacked, drones downed and tankers seized in the Strait of Hormuz, a chokepoint for around a third of the world’s sea-borne oil.

At the height of the crisis, Trump ordered strikes against Iran on June 21 before cancelling them at the last minute.

Macron has been leading efforts to de-escalate the situation, and expressed hopes at a G7 meeting last week of bringing Rouhani and Trump together for a meeting.

But Rouhani has played down the likelihood of that happening unless the United States first lifts crippling sanctions that it has slapped on Iran since pulling out of the deal.

“If Europe cannot operationalise its commitments, Iran will take its third step to reduce its JCPOA commitments,” Rouhani told Macron on Saturday in a phone call, quoted by the government website.

However, “this step, just like the other ones, will be reversible,” he added.

“Unfortunately after this unilateral move by the US, European countries did not take concrete measures to implement their commitments. “The contents of JCPOA are unchangeable and all parties must be committed to its contents,” he said.

Rouhani said Iran had two priorities: for all parties to the JCPOA to fully implement their obligations and “securing the safety of all free maritime transportation in all waterways including the Persian Gulf and Strait of Hormuz”.

In a statement from his office, Macron stressed the importance of “the current dynamic to create the conditions for a de-escalation through dialogue and building a durable solution in the region”.

A French diplomatic source said it was important, after recent discussions between Paris and Tehran, to establish that Rouhani was “still ready to negotiate. And that is the case”.

Launched on December 3,1990. Nagaland Post is the first and highest circulated newspaper of Nagaland state. Nagaland Post is also the first newspaper in Nagaland to be published in multi-colour.

Desk:+91-3862-248 489, e-mail: npdesk@gmail.com Fax: +91-3862-248 500
Advt.:+91-3862-248 267, e-mail:npostadvt@gmail.com

QUICK LINKS

SUNDAY POST

Join us on

© Nagaland Post 2018. All Rights are Reserved
Designed by : 4C Plus