International

Israel lifts restrictions amid ceasefire

By Nagaland Post | Publish Date: 5/6/2019 11:51:08 AM IST

 Tel Aviv, May 6 (IANS): The Israeli military said on Monday that it had lifted all protective restrictions, amid a reported ceasefire with militants in Gaza that ended two days of violence.

Since Saturday morning, Palestinian militants in Gaza have launched 690 rockets towards southern Israel. Israel responded with over 320 attacks on military positions, making it the most significant escalation of violence since the 2014 Israel-Gaza conflict.

At the same time, the Israeli air force also carried out massive strikes in Gaza, bombing buildings and militant targets throughout the besieged Palestinian enclave.

“As of 7 a.m., all protective restrictions in the home front will be lifted,” Xinhua news agency quoted an Israeli military spokesperson as saying in a statement. Following the statement, most educational institutions across the south announced they will resume classes after they were closed on Sunday in the wake of the abrupt violence.

The Israeli government is yet to release an official statement about the ceasefire.

In Gaza, Al-Aqsa TV, an official Hamas-run channel, reported that the ceasefire agreement between the armed groups in the Gaza Strip and Israel went into effect before dawn.

Israel’s Haaretz newspaper reported that the deal was brokered by Egyptian, Qatari and UN officials.

At least 23 Palestinians were killed, including two pregnant women and two babies, according to the Palestinian Health Ministry. In Israel, four civilians were killed. 

Meanwhile, UN Secretary-Gernal Antonio Guterres condemned “in the strongest terms the launching of rockets from Gaza into Israel, particularly the targeting of civilian population centres”, Efe news reported. 

End rocket attacks on Israel: Trump warns Palestinians

The US supports Israel “100 per cent” in its defence against a barrage of deadly rocket attacks by militant groups in Gaza, US President Donald Trump has said, warning Palestinians that such actions would bring them “nothing but more misery”.
Tensions flared up on Saturday between Israel and Palestine with massive rocket fire from Gaza, drawing waves of Israeli retaliatory strikes which continued throughout Sunday. At least 23 Palestinians, including at least nine militants, were killed.
Four civilians in Israel were killed, at least three of them Israeli citizens.
“Once again, Israel faces a barrage of deadly rocket attacks by terrorist groups Hamas and Islamic Jihad. We support Israel 100 per cent in its defense of its citizens,” “ Trump said in a tweet on Sunday.
“To the Gazan people — these terrorist acts against Israel will bring you nothing but more misery. End the violence and work towards peace - it can happen!” Trump said in a tweet.
According to media reports, the militant groups have fired about 600 rockets towards Israel. In response, Israel has launched about 250 air strikes against terrorist groups in the region.
The flare-up comes despite a truce brokered by Egypt last month. It is one of the most surges in violence since the conflict of July and August 2014.

Launched on December 3,1990. Nagaland Post is the first and highest circulated newspaper of Nagaland state. Nagaland Post is also the first newspaper in Nagaland to be published in multi-colour.

Desk:+91-3862-248 489, e-mail: npdesk@gmail.com Fax: +91-3862-248 500
Advt.:+91-3862-2482 267, e-mail:npostadvt@gmail.com

QUICK LINKS

SUNDAY POST

Join us on

© Nagaland Post 2018. All Rights are Reserved
Designed by : 4C Plus