State

JAC Peren reacts to HPC spokesperson

DIMAPUR, JUL 10 (NPN) | Publish Date: 7/10/2020 12:56:05 PM IST
Joint Action Committee (JAC)-Covid 19 Peren has taken umbrage to “obnoxious” and “sordid accusations” by spokesperson High Powered Committee(HPC) and adviser Mmhonlumo Kikon in Kohima on July 6 wherein he attributed the high rise of COVID-19 cases in Peren district to “not so satisfactory” adherence to quarantine norms and protocols by inmates at quarantine centres. 
JAC through its convener Dr. Tumda Newme, said linking the high number of COVID-19 cases with unsatisfactory adherence to norms and protocols was “an overstatement and an attempt to put Peren district in a bad light.” 
 JAC traced the genesis of the current COVID-19 crisis in Peren to June 3,2020, when a COVID-19 positive patient from Peren was sent from Dimapur along with 16 others who had tested negative. 
JAC then asked whether this was negligence on the part of the government machineries based at Dimapur or “unsatisfactory adherence to norms and protocols by inmates?”
Again on June 23, JAC said 96 returnees from Haryana were released from ITI and Polytechnic quarantine centres at Peren without confirming their COVID-19 status as mandated due to their positive contact history. Of the 96, JAC said 32 were later tested COVID1-19 positive. 
JAC again asked whether it was also due to negligence on the part of the government machineries or a result of “unsatisfactory adherence to quarantine norms and protocols by inmates?”
JAC pointed out that there were presently 216 COVID-19 cases in Peren district which called for timely and responsive action from the government otherwise community transmission could take place.
It said any attempt to downplay the critical situation by any individual or group including the state government would only aggravate the matter. 
JAC said such negative reaction could only bring negative results and that casting aspersions on the prevailing situation in Peren could only lead to eruption of violence, backlash leading to disastrous repercussions.
JAC agreed that advise and suggestions on the roles of CBOs, FBOs and NGOs was welcomed but said it would have been a wiser approach, if a person like Mmhonlumo assessed the ground reality and assigned roles and responsibilities, instead of making comments from the state capital, without having any participation of CBOs, FBOs and NGOs in the current COVID exercises in Peren.
JAC reiterated that a spokesperson of HPC on COVID-19 as well as a responsible MLA like Mmhonlumo Kikon “must desist from putting baseless report in public domain without ascertaining facts”. JAC termed his statements as “provocative” which only added fuel to the already volatile situation adding, it would do good if the spokesperson “stop putting such fabricated stories in public domain” and instead, make the government set up a Judicial Inquiry Committee(JIC) to probe the June 3 and June 23 imbroglio as being demanded. 
On the other hand, JAC said on July 9, a government team led by secretary finance & commissioner Taxes Kesonyu Yhome along with OSD,NSDMA Johnny Ruangmei and Dr. Kika Longkumer Jt. Director H&FW heard the grievances and resentments expressed by JAC along with various CSOs, church bodies and NGOs at DC conference hall.
JAC said the government team also visited district hospital Peren and COVID hospital Jalukie and gave assurances on demands made by ZSUN, KSO and ZYON in their ultimatum and memorandum that were submitted earlier on June 18 and July 7 respectively. JAC said it looked forward to implementation of these assurances.

-Tags:#JAC

Launched on December 3,1990. Nagaland Post is the first and highest circulated newspaper of Nagaland state. Nagaland Post is also the first newspaper in Nagaland to be published in multi-colour.

Desk:+91-3862-248 489, e-mail: npdesk@gmail.com Fax: +91-3862-248 500
Advt.:+91-3862-248 267, e-mail:npostadvt@gmail.com

QUICK LINKS

SUNDAY POST

Join us on

© Nagaland Post 2018. All Rights are Reserved
Designed by : 4C Plus