Jumbo electrocution: Forest department to take legal action

DIMAPUR | Publish Date: 4/9/2019 12:48:05 PM IST

After two wild elephants were electrocuted by sagging high tension electric cable (220/132 KV) in Sanis area under Wokha district on April 8, the department of forest has said that legal action would be initiated as per the law.

In a press release, Wildlife Warden, Wildlife Division Dimapur, H Tokaho Kinimi, stated that the department had written to the general manager, Power Grid Cooperation of India Limited, Dimapur on November 2, 2018 requesting to take necessary action for maintenance of electric cables/lines at optimum height as there could be such deaths from accidental electrocution in the future. Wildlife Warden pointed out that the height of high tension electric cable/lines (220/132 KV) was only 10-12 feet from the ground. He said that the negligence amounted to violation of the Wildlife Protection Act’1972 for which legal action would be initiated as per the law. Kinimi said the incident happened exactly at the same spot where two elephants were electrocuted on October 24, 2018. 

Meanwhile, Wildlife Warden has expressed gratitude to all the volunteers (Green Sons), public, police and administration of Sanis town, Wokha district for their assistance to the department in rescuing an elephant calf on April 7, 2019. According to Wildlife Warden, the elephant calf was under safe custody at Intangki National Park with veterinary doctors monitoring its health. 

Launched on December 3,1990. Nagaland Post is the first and highest circulated newspaper of Nagaland state. Nagaland Post is also the first newspaper in Nagaland to be published in multi-colour.

Desk:+91-3862-248 489, e-mail: Fax: +91-3862-248 500
Advt.:+91-3862-248 267,



Join us on

© Nagaland Post 2018. All Rights are Reserved
Designed by : 4C Plus