State

Measures against COVID-19 should remain, says Dr. Trehan

Measures against COVID-19 should remain, says Dr. Trehan
Dr. Naresh Trehan (File)
Staff Reporter Dimapur, Apr 11 (NPN) | Publish Date: 4/11/2020 11:56:40 AM IST

In the event of lifting or partial lifting of the 21-day national lockdown after April 14, most health experts have suggested that current measures ought to remain strictly in place in order to contain the spread of COVID-19.

In an exclusive interview to NE8-- a newly launched online channel, and in collaboration with Eden Medical Centre Dimapur on April 10, Dr. Naresh Trehan, chairman and Managing Director of Medanta- The Medicity, suggested that the current 21-day nationwide lockdown continue for at least two more weeks since the threat from COVID-19 can remain for at six months.

Dr. Trehan a world renowned cardiovascular and cardiothoracic surgeon said there is need to have more tests nationwide through COVID testing kits so as to understand the magnitude of the virus in India. 

On current trials for treatment of COVID-19, Dr. Trehan said some drugs such as hydroxychloroquine, paracetamol , plasma therapy etc have yet to prove conclusively that each is efficacious.

Dr. Trehan said the best treatment is prevention and so emphasised on strictly maintaining personal hygiene, wearing of masks, frequent hand washing, social distancing and keeping one’s mental and physical state through meditation and light exercise and diet ought to become a long engagement.

On the general belief that N95 mask is the only safeguard against COVID-19, Dr. Trehan explained that the mask (N95) was only for use by frontline workers especially doctors working or treating COVID-19 infected persons. 

He said general public can use any three-tier mask even those made at home, to protect themselves and others.

On Indian health system is prepared to combat COVID-19 if cases rise to very high levels, Dr. Trehan said so far the government has been proactive and effectively responsive. He said the government has also roped in retired medical doctors for COVID-19 duties. 

In addition, he said all health workers and even final year MBBS students have been informed to be ready to join the battle against COVID-19 when called.

Dr. Trehan also expressed a keen desire to visit Nagaland to explore ways and means for helping those in need of cardio ailments. He disclosed that he had planned to come to Nagaland in April at the invite of Nagaland chief minister Neiphiu Rio but due to the COVID-19 crisis it has been shelved.

 

Launched on December 3,1990. Nagaland Post is the first and highest circulated newspaper of Nagaland state. Nagaland Post is also the first newspaper in Nagaland to be published in multi-colour.

Desk:+91-3862-248 489, e-mail: npdesk@gmail.com Fax: +91-3862-248 500
Advt.:+91-3862-248 267, e-mail:npostadvt@gmail.com

QUICK LINKS

SUNDAY POST

Join us on

© Nagaland Post 2018. All Rights are Reserved
Designed by : 4C Plus