Regional

MHA seeks report on Sweeper Lane

MHA seeks report on Sweeper Lane
File image of Them ïew Mawlong in Shillong. (File)
Correspondent Shillong, Jun 12 | Publish Date: 6/13/2019 11:53:59 AM IST

The Union Home Ministry has summoned the Meghalaya government to Delhi to discuss on the issue of relocation of genuine Harijan settlers from Sweeper Lane to another location.

The intervention of the MHA followed after the proscribed Hynñiewtrep National Liberation Council (HNLC), a militant outfit had threatened to kill the Harijans residing in the area.

Deputy Chief Minister, Prestone Tynsong said that the MHA has called the state to discuss the issue in Delhi on Thursday to be represented by the Chief Secretary, and principal secretary (urban affairs).

“It is good as we need to have a meeting between the state and the Central government to know the real picture because listening to one side is not good, but listing to both sides and look at documents, you will understand what the situation is,” he said. 

Tynsong made it that relocating the settlers from the Sweepers Lane does not mean throwing them out.

“They are our brothers and sisters and we want to take proper care of them and we will not allow this threat to happen,” he said.

Tynsong also said that those staying at Sweepers Lane are not only people from the Punjabi or Sikhs community but other populations too are staying there. “Therefore we wanted to remove this problem once and for all, and relocation has to take place.”

However, Tynsong refused to comment on the HNLC statement, but said that state government does not want any group from outside to interfere into the affairs of the state.

On Sunday, the HNLC asked the Meghalaya government not to soften its stance and take action to identify genuine and illegal settlers at Sweepers Lane while reacting to the recent deadline given by the Harijan Panchayat Committee to the Shillong Municipal Board for issuing public notices to those residing at Them ïew Mawlong.

The Harijan Panchayat Committee while countering the statement of the HNLC, said that the land was allotted by the Syiem (chief) of Hima Mylliem and they have stayed one generation after another for 200 years. In June last year the High Level Committee headed by Tynsong was formed by the Meghalaya government to find out a feasible solution to the issue.


-Tags:#MHA

Launched on December 3,1990. Nagaland Post is the first and highest circulated newspaper of Nagaland state. Nagaland Post is also the first newspaper in Nagaland to be published in multi-colour.

Desk:+91-3862-248 489, e-mail: npdesk@gmail.com Fax: +91-3862-248 500
Advt.:+91-3862-2482 267, e-mail:npostadvt@gmail.com

QUICK LINKS

SUNDAY POST

Join us on

© Nagaland Post 2018. All Rights are Reserved
Designed by : 4C Plus