International

Minneapolis bids farewell to George Floyd

Minneapolis bids farewell to George Floyd
A mourner pays respect at a memorial for George Flyod in Minneapolis on June 4.
Minneapolis, Jun 5 (IANS) | Publish Date: 6/5/2020 9:26:12 AM IST

The US city of Minneapolis bid farewell to George Floyd 10 days after his death in police custody which triggered the country’s largest racial justice protests of the 21st century.

Floyd’s funeral will take place in Texas on June 9, but on Thursday a memorial service was held in Minneapolis, the city in which he had lived for the past few years and where he was killed on May 25, reports Efe news.

“George Floyd’s story has been the story of black folks. Because ever since 401 years ago, the reason we could never be who we wanted and dreamed to be is you kept your knee on our neck,” Reverend Al Sharpton said in a eulogy.

Passersby made videos of the incident with their mobile phones that showed Minneapolis police officer, Derek Chauvin, kneeling with his full body weight on Floyd’s neck after he had been handcuffed and placed facedown on the pavement.

“What happened to Floyd happens every day in this country, in education, in health services and in every area of American life. It’s time for us to stand up in George’s name and say: get your knee off our necks,” the Reverend said.

On the 10th day of protests in the US, many cities that had experienced nights of violence, chaos and looting, particularly in Washington and Los Angeles, lifted curfew restrictions following largely peaceful protests and no disturbances.

New York Governor Andrew Cuomo called the incident “wholly unjustified and utterly disgraceful,” while the man hospitalized is in a stable condition.

Court bans Aus ‘Black Lives Matter’ rally

An Australian court has banned a Black Lives Matter protest that was planned this weekend in Sydney, saying it posed a coronavirus health risk.

New South Wales (NSW) Police had sought a court order to halt it.

Thousands were expected to attend the rally in solidarity with US protests over the killing of George Floyd and to express anger over indigenous deaths in Australian custody.

Organisers say they are determined to go ahead with the protest.

Since the killing of African-American man George Floyd in Minneapolis, Australians have protested against their own country’s disproportionate number of black deaths in custody. “Everybody has given up a lot in order to defeat this disease,” Justice Desmond Fagan said, ruling that health concerns outweighed the right to protest on this occasion.

“It’s not a time to throw out our caution,” he added.

Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison criticised the planned protests on Friday. “Let’s find a better way and another way to express these sentiments, rather than putting your own health at risk, the health of others at risk,” he said.

Launched on December 3,1990. Nagaland Post is the first and highest circulated newspaper of Nagaland state. Nagaland Post is also the first newspaper in Nagaland to be published in multi-colour.

Desk:+91-3862-248 489, e-mail: npdesk@gmail.com Fax: +91-3862-248 500
Advt.:+91-3862-248 267, e-mail:npostadvt@gmail.com

QUICK LINKS

SUNDAY POST

Join us on

© Nagaland Post 2018. All Rights are Reserved
Designed by : 4C Plus