Mob storm police station in connection to murder case

Mob storm police station in connection to murder case
Locals of Bamon Kampu in Imphal East protesting demanding capital punsihment to adulterous wife and her paramour in their locality on Saturday.
Correspondent IMPHAL, May 4 | Publish Date: 5/4/2019 11:34:10 AM IST

A policeman was injured when a mob from  Bamon Kampu in Imphal East district stormed a police station in Imphal East and smashed vehicles inside the station on Saturday in connection to a  murder case involving a woman  and GP pradhan.

The police in response, used tear gas shells and mock bombs and also fired several rounds of gun shots in the air to push back the mob. The mob alleged that the police delayed investigation.  Irilbung police has arrested the lady  (26-year-old Helen alias Thoi Devi) , who is the prime accused in the brutal murder of her husband Khunjamayum Arun Singh of Bamon Kampu on April 21.  Earlier, the pradhan of area Naoshekpam Rabi Singh (45) surrendered to the police soon after the dead body of Arun was retrieved from a paddy field near his locality. During police investigation, it was learnt that the pradhan later turned out to be the paramour of the wife of the deceased. Ever since the police unearthed the conspiracy behind the murder of Arun , locals of Bamon Kampu have been pressurising them not to delay submission of charge-sheets while also demanding arrest of other culprit(s) who are still at large. On Saturday,  a large number of residents of Bamon Kampu stormed the court complex when the two prime accused were produced in the court of chief judicial magistrate, Imphal East. While the accused were under tight security, residents shouted slogans demanding capital punishment for the prime accused. 

Even as the police, including female personnel were having a hard time to deal with a large number of people storming the court campus, an elder sister of the murder victim attempted to commit suicide inside the court campus. Female police personnel on duty saved her from executing the heinous act. The residents  stormed the court complex as they apprehensive that the  accused pradhan Rabi may be released on bail.However, the court remanded both the prime accused to judicial custody for 15 days while directing the police to produce them in the same court on May 18.

Observing that the accused Helen has a baby who is about one month old, the court ordered jail authority to provide due facilities as per law. After the police took away the two accused from the court complex, the gathering people stopped confronting  the police only to later storm the local police station. There was no report of injuries of agitators but a reporter covering the incident was hit by a sling shot. After they were pushed back from the police station, the residents continued their protest by imposing total blockade on the main roads (Imphal-Yairipok road) that passes through the area.The agitators even blocked police vehicle carrying  the injured colleague to the hospital. The helpless police took other road to reach hospital. Leaders of the joint action committee formed against the brutal murder of Kh Arun said that they were keeping a close eye to the development of the case and has been demanding capital punishment of both Helen and Rabi who had illicit affair and allegedly murdered Helen’s husband Arun.

They alleged police of deliberately slowing down the investigation instead of delivering justice to the victim’s family at the earliest.

Talking to media, the convener of the JAC K Rajiv said that they will continue the agitations until police give a commitment of early submission of charge-sheet and  arrest other culprits who are still at large.

He alleged that police were deliberately delaying the investigation into the case by releasing the prime accused of the case. 

He further threatened boycotting local MLA Nahakpam Indrajit of the ruling BJP while accusing him of not doing anything to press the police and concerned government authority to serve justice.

Stating that the dead body of Khujamayum Arun was still at JNIMS morgue, he said that they will not be accept the body until  justice is delivered to the family of the victim.

Launched on December 3,1990. Nagaland Post is the first and highest circulated newspaper of Nagaland state. Nagaland Post is also the first newspaper in Nagaland to be published in multi-colour.

Desk:+91-3862-248 489, e-mail: Fax: +91-3862-248 500
Advt.:+91-3862-248 267,



Join us on

© Nagaland Post 2018. All Rights are Reserved
Designed by : 4C Plus