National

Nirbhaya convicts’ hanging now set for February 1

New Delhi, Jan 17 (IANS) | Publish Date: 1/17/2020 10:39:43 AM IST

The Nirbhaya convicts will now be hanged to death at Delhi’s Tihar Jail at 6 a.m. on February 1.

Additional Sessions Judge Satish Kumar Arora on Friday issued fresh death warrants against the four convicts in the case after being informed by Tihar Jail authorities that the mercy plea of convict Mukesh has been dismissed by the President.

Public Prosecutor Irfan Ahmed had earlier in the day moved a fresh application seeking issuance of death warrants against the four death row convicts, telling the court that no plea of the convicts is pending before it or any other forum. The four convicts - Mukesh, Vinay Sharma, Akshay Thakur and Pawan Gupta - were earlier due to be executed at 7 a.m. on January 22.

Smriti flays AAP govt for ‘delayed’ hangings

Union Minister for Women and Child Development Smriti Irani on Friday attacked the Aam Aadmi Party government for allegedly delaying the execution of four convicts in the Nirbhaya gang rape-murder case.

“I want to tell the Kejriwal government that even though the review petition of three of the four convicts was dismissed by the Supreme Court in July 2018, the executions may not take place on the due date (January 22) because the Prison Department under the AAP government was sleeping,” the Minister said.

She also slammed the Delhi government for giving Rs 10,000 and a sewing kit to one juvenile rapist after his release. “They did not see tears in the eyes of Nirbhaya’s mother? I salute her today for her struggle all these seven years.”

Irani’s statement comes after President Ram Nath Kovind on Friday rejected the mercy petition of 2012 Delhi gang rape and murder case convict Mukesh Singh, officials said.

The MHA had forwarded Mukesh’s mercy petition to the President on Thursday night, hours after the plea was received from Delhi Lt Gov Anil Baijal’s office for review.

 The plea was forwarded to Baijal’s office by the Delhi government after rejecting it.

The 23-year-old woman was brutally gang raped and tortured on December 16, 2012, leading later to her death.

 

Launched on December 3,1990. Nagaland Post is the first and highest circulated newspaper of Nagaland state. Nagaland Post is also the first newspaper in Nagaland to be published in multi-colour.

Desk:+91-3862-248 489, e-mail: npdesk@gmail.com Fax: +91-3862-248 500
Advt.:+91-3862-248 267, e-mail:npostadvt@gmail.com

QUICK LINKS

SUNDAY POST

Join us on

© Nagaland Post 2018. All Rights are Reserved
Designed by : 4C Plus