Regional

Notice for disconnection of electricity in Meghalaya

Correspondent SHILLONG, APR 5 | Publish Date: 4/5/2021 12:31:43 PM IST

Facing a huge financial burden, the Meghalaya Power Distribution Corporation Limited (MePDCL) has issued a general notice for disconnection of electricity supply to all defaulters in the State with effect from April 16.

MePDCL chairman-cum-managing director, Arunkuman Khembhavi said that prosecution proceedings would also be initiated against those permanently disconnected consumers who have failed to settle their dues under the scheme or otherwise. 
He said the MePDCL on November, 2020 had announced the ‘MePDCL One Time Settlement Scheme, 2020’ for all categories of defaulting consumers (including permanently disconnected consumers) to recover long outstanding dues of electricity bills as on March 31, 2020. 
The scheme was valid until March 31, 2021.
Khembavi said “a general notice as per the relevant provisions of the MSERC (Electricity Supply Code) Regulations, 2018 is hereby issued to all the defaulting consumers informing that with effect from April 16, 2021, the MePDCL shall commence rigorous electricity disconnection drive under section 56 of the Electricity Act, 2003 against all defaulting consumers not enrolled/opted for this Scheme (including consumers who opted the Scheme but failed to comply with the terms of the Scheme). 
He said the notice shall be treated as notice for disconnection to all defaulting consumers of the MePDCL.
  “There shall also be prosecution proceedings against those permanently disconnected  consumers who have failed to settle their dues under the scheme or otherwise,” the 
Chairman and Managing Director, MePDCL has informed.
The MePDCL had to resort to power cuts in the recent past as power supply by power generating institutions had been stopped as the Corporation owed outstanding amounts of  huge tune.
During recent raids conducted by the MePDCL at industrial areas at Byrnihat in the State, several instances of power pilferage had come to the fore.
In fact, the United Democratic Party (UDP), a key ally in the National People Party (NPP)-led Meghalaya Democratic Alliance (MDA) government has asked Chief Minister Conrad Sangma to relieve senior NPP cabinet minister James Sangma from the Power department due to the alleged irregularities in the power department.
The Power minister, however, has maintained that the department was trying to reform the  power sector, which has been long overdue in the State, which was once power surplus, but  has been suffering from shortage of power over the past years.
Meanwhile, the Meghalaya Power Workers’ Union (MPWU) has urged chairman-cum-managing director of Meghalaya Energy Corporation Limited, Arunkumar Khembhavi to release all pending arrears, including remaining balance arrears accrued from ROP 2015 (45 per cent), arrear on electricity allowance and arrear on dearness allowance. 
 
 
 

Launched on December 3,1990. Nagaland Post is the first and highest circulated newspaper of Nagaland state. Nagaland Post is also the first newspaper in Nagaland to be published in multi-colour.

Desk:+91-3862-248 489, e-mail: npdesk@gmail.com Fax: +91-3862-248 500
Advt.:+91-3862-248 267, e-mail:npostadvt@gmail.com

QUICK LINKS

SUNDAY POST

Join us on

© Nagaland Post 2018. All Rights are Reserved
Designed by : 4C Plus