State

PAC responds to WC, NNPGs; clarify stand on ‘Operation check gate’

DIMAPUR, NOV 8 (NPN) | Publish Date: 11/8/2019 11:16:39 AM IST

Public Action Committee (PAC), Naga Council Dimapur (NCD) has strongly condemned the incident on November 7 between 5 a.m. to 6 a.m. when five cadre-members of NNPGs barged into the residence of its co-convener K Ghokheto Chophy and insisted on taking him to their camp.

PAC media cell said some days back, its convener Vekhosayi Nyekha, along with Chophy, were summoned to Khehoi camp where they were “reprimanded and intimidated”. On return, PAC said both had disclosed they discussed the issues with NNPGs and so assumed that the matter was sorted out. It however said, shockingly, NNPGs issued a statement on the issue on November 7. 

PAC said it was appalled and disgusted at the turn of events that took place within a span of nine to ten days and even after talks with Government of India (GoI) had concluded on a positive note. In view of the above, PAC said it failed to understand the reason and intention of WC, NNPGs. In view of the incident PAC held an emergency meeting on November 7 where the issue was discussed threadbare and constrained to issue a clarification to the charges levelled against PAC leaders by NNPGs. 

PAC said since inception it has been “vocal in advocating the desire of the public on “One Government, One Tax” and fighting against multiple, illegal collection by both state and non-state actors that spared no one. PAC clarified that in its endeavour, it neither had encountered or confronted NNPGs with regard to collection of tax. Therefore, PAC said, there was no truth in the allegation that the PAC drive was a “threat to survival of NNPGs”.

Instead, PAC said the “unreasonable allegations against PAC” only went to show that NNPGs condone such activities and sustain through such illegal collections. PAC said because of consideration and remorse for the plight of the public, it had acted against such illegal collections but never prohibited any “voluntary or generous contribution” by any business community or individual. 

Refuting WC’s allegations, PAC reiterated that it has no legal authority to pick up or arrest national workers from homes and put them behind bars.

PAC clarified it has no ulterior motive as its drive was a “public movement” and therefore, the allegation that it targeted individual leaders was “totally uncalled for.” To WC’s warning, PAC clarified that neither it nor its leaders can be held responsible if national workers face hunger and starvation since that was beyond its scope of activity and domain. Rather, PAC said it deeply regretted that Naga issue could be downgraded to an issue of “cadre survival” due to the activity of “a committee” which was only fighting against illegal collection. PAC said it was a pride for every Naga to sustain its movement but was painful that WC, NNPGs statement termed the issue as “survival threat” after Nagas thus have come so far.

In conclusion, PAC clarified that by targeting individual leaders and their families, WC cannot garner “support nor bring unity.” Further, PAC reminded that it was formed by a conglomeration of Naga tribal hohos, all non-local communities and frontal organisations of Dimapur.

Therefore, PAC warned, if “whatever befalls on any leader or members of PAC, the WC of NNPGs shall be held solely responsible, “ while also hoping that wisdom would prevail and that no one would “flare up the issue” when every Naga looked forward to peace and harmony to conclude the “Indo-Naga settlement”.

DAYO flays statement

 Dimapur Ao Youth Organisation (DAYO) has condemned the statement of WC, NNPGs targeting individuals who were representatives of tribal apex bodies under Naga Council. 

According to DAYO president Aotemsu Aier and general secretary S Pangertoshi, the individuals were designated leaders mandated on behalf of the citizens of Dimapur, who were also customers and ended up paying all taxes imposed by different groups. DAYO said no investor/company would want to invest in a land where there was unabated taxation.

DAYO said it was incumbent upon the state government to ensure that suo motu case was filed against the accused for issuing such outrageous press statements. DAYO said civil/apex tribal bodies that had facilitated and given consent to NNPGs for Naga solution too should come out clear whether they endorsed such provocative statements. DAYO assured full cooperation to PAC and offered to stand shoulder to shoulder in case of any eventuality.

Launched on December 3,1990. Nagaland Post is the first and highest circulated newspaper of Nagaland state. Nagaland Post is also the first newspaper in Nagaland to be published in multi-colour.

Desk:+91-3862-248 489, e-mail: npdesk@gmail.com Fax: +91-3862-248 500
Advt.:+91-3862-248 267, e-mail:npostadvt@gmail.com

QUICK LINKS

SUNDAY POST

Join us on

© Nagaland Post 2018. All Rights are Reserved
Designed by : 4C Plus