National

Reporters Without Borders urges India to protect journalists

NEW DELHI, JUL 4 (AGENCIES) | Publish Date: 7/4/2018 11:57:14 PM IST
A media watch group-- Reporters Without Borders (RWB) on July 4 expressed serious concern at “an alarming deterioration in the working environment of journalists in India” and demanded that the government ensure the safety of journalists who are feeling threatened, reports The Hindu.
Reporters Without Borders said in a report that at least three journalists were killed in India in 2017 and that a fourth case is still under investigation. In 2018, four journalists were killed in the first six months of the year itself. “The hate speech directed toward journalists has increased massively, causing serious concern for their safety,” the report said.
The group said that in June last, editor of Rising Kashmir Shujaat Bukhari was shot dead as he left his office in Srinagar. In March, journalist Sandeep Sharma was crushed to death by a truck in Madhya Pradesh. And in Bihar, journalists Navin Nischal and Vijay Singh were run over by an SUV. There was no immediate reaction from the government. The group demanded a swift and independent investigation of cases in which journalists have been targeted.
Columnist Neerja Choudhary said the government was not acting as it should be, given the rise in attacks on journalists. “If the government was serious about the freedom of press, the media can’t be treated like an upstart,” she said. “Those who want to stifle dissenting voices are getting emboldened as nobody is brought to book.”
On July 3, the general secretary of Reporters Without Borders, Christophe Deloire, wrote to Prime Minister Narendra Modi telling him that an incident report had been issued in relation to press freedom in the country, and asking him to take urgent action. An incident report is issued when events are observed that could affect a country’s ranking based on one or more of the indicators that are used in the evaluation for the World Press Freedom Index.
The group called on representatives of the government and the BJP “to condemn in the strongest terms online campaigns of hate and harassment aimed at journalists”.
Journalist Seema Mustafa said the attacks on journalists were intended to strike fear and further intimidate the media in India. “An environment is being created which is working against the free and fair functioning of the media because it intimidates an ordinary journalist who is terrified and is scared,” she said.

Launched on December 3,1990. Nagaland Post is the first and highest circulated newspaper of Nagaland state. Nagaland Post is also the first newspaper in Nagaland to be published in multi-colour.

Phone:+91-3862-248 489,Fax: +91-3862-248 500
Advt.:+91-3862-2482 267, e-mail:npdesk@gmail.com

QUICK LINKS

SUNDAY POST

Join us on

© Nagaland Post 2018. All Rights are Reserved
Designed by : 4C Plus