International

Rescued Thai cave boys relive ‘moment of miracle’ after hospital discharge

Rescued Thai cave boys relive ‘moment of miracle’ after hospital discharge
The boys’ appearance before the media is meant to be a one-off.
London, Jul 18 (Agencies) | Publish Date: 7/19/2018 12:22:00 AM IST
The 12 boys rescued from a flooded cave in Thailand have spoken publically of their ordeal for the first time, describing the “moment of miracle” when divers found them.
Adul Sam-on, 14, the only member of the group who speaks English, told reporters he could only say “hello” when the British divers surfaced. The boys were trapped in the the Tham Luang caves for more than two weeks. They left hospital earlier on Wednesday and are on their way home.
They appeared in their football kit at a news conference in Chiang Rai, alongside members of the Thai Navy Seals who helped rescue them.
One boy described how they had lived only on water from the stones of the cave. “Water is clean,” he said. “No food.” Some said they would learn from their ordeal. One promised to be “more careful and live my life the fullest”. Another said: “This experience taught me to be more patient and strong.”
Chiang Rai’s provincial governor, Prachon Pratsukan, said this would be the boys’ “only official media interview”, saying that there would “be no more speaking with the press after this”.
Questions submitted by journalists were vetted ahead of time, and have been screened by a child psychiatrist to ensure they do not distress the boys.
There are also plans for the boys to be ordained as Buddhist monks for a short period of time, a tradition for males in Thailand who have experienced a misfortune.They entered the Tham Luang cave in the northern district of Chiang Rai on 23 June during an excursion with their coach.
They had planned to be there for only an hour but found themselves trapped after a sudden bout of heavy rain flooded the cave complex, blocking their only way out. 
Their parents soon informed officials they were missing, and a search and rescue operation began.
Nine days passed before the boys were found by two British rescue divers.

Launched on December 3,1990. Nagaland Post is the first and highest circulated newspaper of Nagaland state. Nagaland Post is also the first newspaper in Nagaland to be published in multi-colour.

Phone:+91-3862-248 489,Fax: +91-3862-248 500
Advt.:+91-3862-2482 267, e-mail:npdesk@gmail.com

QUICK LINKS

SUNDAY POST

Join us on

© Nagaland Post 2018. All Rights are Reserved
Designed by : 4C Plus