International

Several injured in clash in Germany

Several injured in clash in Germany
Hundreds of riot police separated the noisy crowd who were chanting slogans against ''criminal foreigners''.
Chemnitz, Aug 28 (Agencies) | Publish Date: 8/28/2018 11:53:52 AM IST

Several people were injured as thousands of far right protesters clashed with riot police in an east German city where a killing was allegedly committed by a Syrian and an Iraqi.

The activists gathered in the centre of Chemnitz for a second day on Monday, shouting “we are louder, we are more” and “lying press”.

Demonstrators hurled bottles and firecrackers at about 1,000 rival left-wing protestors, who yelled slogans like “Nazis out” and “There’s no right to Nazi propaganda”.

Hundreds of police officers in riot gear pushed people back as they tried to get at those on the other side.

The groups took to the streets after a 35-year-old German man was injured during a clash after a street festival and died early on Sunday.

Prosecutor Christine Muecke said the killing stemmed from a verbal confrontation that escalated.

Two men, a 22-year-old Syrian citizen and a 21-year-old Iraqi citizen, were arrested and held on suspicion of manslaughter.

Hundreds of people also took part in spontaneous protests late on Sunday in Chemnitz, a city where almost a quarter of the voters supported the far-right Alternative for Germany party last year.

Videos posted on social media appeared to show far-right protesters threatening and chasing passers-by.

Of the estimated 800 people who took part in the first round of protests, about 50 were involved in violence and attacked police officers with bottles and stones, police said.

Teenagers from Syria and Afghanistan were attacked in separate incidents but were not seriously hurt and a 30-year-old Bulgarian was also threatened.

Chancellor Angela Merkel’s spokesman, Steffen Seibert, strongly condemned Sunday’s violence.

“What was seen yesterday in parts of Chemnitz and what was recorded on video has no place in our country,” Mr Seibert said.

“People ganging up, chasing people who look different from them or who come from elsewhere... is something we won’t tolerate,” he said.

He added, “There is no place in Germany for vigilantism, for groups that want to spread hatred on the streets, for intolerance and racism.”

Launched on December 3,1990. Nagaland Post is the first and highest circulated newspaper of Nagaland state. Nagaland Post is also the first newspaper in Nagaland to be published in multi-colour.

Phone:+91-3862-248 489,Fax: +91-3862-248 500
Advt.:+91-3862-2482 267, e-mail:npostadvt@gmail.com

QUICK LINKS

SUNDAY POST

Join us on

© Nagaland Post 2018. All Rights are Reserved
Designed by : 4C Plus