Sports

Sharapova enters Shenzhen QFs

Sharapova enters Shenzhen QFs
Maria Sharapova
SHENZHEN, Jan 2 (Agencies) | Publish Date: 1/2/2019 11:56:51 AM IST

Maria Sharapova reached the quarterfinals of the Shenzhen Open on Wednesday after Chinese teenager Wang Xinyu retired in the second set with cramps.

According to AP, Sharapova, who lost the first set 7-6 (4), was leading 5-2 in the second before Wang was forced to quit.

“It’s not the way either of us wants to finish the match, win or lose,” Sharapova said. “I thought (Wang) was absolutely the dominant player in this match, and had all the opportunities to win it, even though I felt like I was finding my stride and getting a little bit closer to the line and being more aggressive.”

Wang, 17, who won two Grand Slam doubles titles last year, received a wild card into the Shenzhen event. “She has all the tools to play well, and I think she showcased that, and it’s obviously a very unfortunate way to end the match,” Sharapova said.

Sharapova, 31, will next face top-seeded Aryna Sabalenka of Belarus in the quarterfinals. Sabalenka defeated Ekaterina Alexandrova of Russia 6-3, 6-3.

Earlier, Wang Yafan reached the quarterfinals by beating Ons Jabeur of Tunisia 3-6, 6-4, 6-4. She will next face Monica Niculescu of Romania, who defeated Kristyna Pliskova of Czech Republic 6-7 (2), 6-3, 6-4.

 

Launched on December 3,1990. Nagaland Post is the first and highest circulated newspaper of Nagaland state. Nagaland Post is also the first newspaper in Nagaland to be published in multi-colour.

Desk:+91-3862-248 489, e-mail: npdesk@gmail.com Fax: +91-3862-248 500
Advt.:+91-3862-2482 267, e-mail:npostadvt@gmail.com
© Nagaland Post 2018. All Rights are Reserved
Designed by : 4C Plus