State

Shozukhu- Zukihe bridge incomplete

Shozukhu- Zukihe bridge incomplete
Incomplete RCC bridge over Dhansiri river between Shozukhu and Zukihe. (NP)
Staff Reporter DIMAPUR, OCT 22 (NPN) | Publish Date: 10/22/2019 11:30:47 AM IST

Though scheduled to have been completed in 2007, construction of a 340-metre Shozukhu- Zukihi RCC bridge over Dhansiri river in Dimapur district is nowhere near completion till today as about 80 metre of the bridge is yet to be constructed. 

According to residents of the area, the bridge was supposed to help residents of about 18 villages in Khaghaboto area and 38 villages in Aghunaqa area. They said the work for construction of the bridge was assigned to M/s PABSCON way back in 2005. However, the construction, which was supposed to be completed within 24 months, stopped midway for reasons best known to the contractor and PWD (R&B) department, they added.

After waiting patiently for the parties concerned to resolve the dispute, Khughaboto Area GBs’ Association (KTKK) asked the parties on April 18, 2017 to resolve their differences within 15 days in the larger interest of thousands of people for whom the bridge would be the lifeline.

But even after that, when the case remained unresolved, residents of the area funded about Rs 1 crore and constructed a part of the under-construction bridge. Work for the same started in October 2017, but the bridge nevertheless remains incomplete.

Kakheho Chishi, a resident of the area, mentioned that lately PABSCON had resumed construction after the parties sorted out their differences. But when people of the area inspected the construction work, they found it to be unsatisfactory and work was stalled until further inspection by PWD, he added.

After a recent inspection by PWD (roads & bridges), it was decided that further construction of the bridge would be only allowed after assessment of its safety by “experts from Delhi.”

Shozukhu village GB Ghozheto Aye, Khaghaboto area GBs’ Association president and Khaghaboto Area Students’ Union (KASU) president Kheto Ayemi also shared grievances of the villages with the media. They said the proposed lifeline of the villages had been stalled for so many years and that it was time for the authority concerned to look into the matter at the earliest. And, in the absence of the bridge, the people are being forced to travel via longer routes, besides using dangerous makeshift bridge.

Mentioning that absence of the bridge was causing economic hardships to the people, the local leaders pointed out that the people were not asking for compensation for the crowd-funded construction they had undertaken and asked the government to complete it.

They appealed to the government to avail expertise of analysts and resume the work at the earliest for the welfare of the community at large. 

 

Launched on December 3,1990. Nagaland Post is the first and highest circulated newspaper of Nagaland state. Nagaland Post is also the first newspaper in Nagaland to be published in multi-colour.

Desk:+91-3862-248 489, e-mail: npdesk@gmail.com Fax: +91-3862-248 500
Advt.:+91-3862-248 267, e-mail:npostadvt@gmail.com

QUICK LINKS

SUNDAY POST

Join us on

© Nagaland Post 2018. All Rights are Reserved
Designed by : 4C Plus