State

Some institutions accused of not providing fee relief

Staff Reporter DIMAPUR, OCT 19 (NPN) | Publish Date: 10/19/2020 12:09:21 PM IST

Even as Nagaland continues to reel under the impact of COVID-19 pandemic-induced lockdown, parents/guardians of students of some institutions complained that some institutions continue to charge regular fees including hostel fee, despite being closed for months following the lockdown.

Speaking to this Reporter, parents of students of some institutions, alleged they were asked to pay regular fees despite closure of hostels since lockdown. One parent said they had lodged several complaints with school authorities for being asked to pay hostel dues. However, it was alleged that parents still had to pay hostel fees despite closured of institutions since the past five to six months.

Another parent said they were asked to pay the hostel fee for three instalments in a year. The parent said the particular institution eventually agreed to a 40% concession but sought payment for the remaining 60% fee. Another parent, who paid the fee on October 2, alleged that despite the institution having remained closed for months, parents still had to pay fees for library, medical, hostel fee, electric charges etc. 

The parent opined that even if some fee was to be paid at least there should have been exemptions on hostel fee, library fee, electricity fee, medical fees etc. It was the same complaint even from a parent of a college student.  

The parent said income and cost of living was adversely affected due to the pandemic and it was expected that educational institution also give some concessions since the institutions have remained closed for months.

The parent said besides the departments responsible, bodies like Dimapur Naga Students’ Union, All Nagaland Private Schools’ Association, Naga Students’ Federation, All Nagaland College Students’ Union, etc, take up the matter with institutional authorities.

However, it must be pointed out that not every educational institution followed this practise as some of them had slashed monthly school fees  etc. while exempting hostel fees.

Meanwhile, a staff of a school revealed that institutions had obligations to pay salaries even if they remained closed. According to the staff, some schools charged only 50% of fees in order to meet salary requirements.

 

Launched on December 3,1990. Nagaland Post is the first and highest circulated newspaper of Nagaland state. Nagaland Post is also the first newspaper in Nagaland to be published in multi-colour.

Desk:+91-3862-248 489, e-mail: npdesk@gmail.com Fax: +91-3862-248 500
Advt.:+91-3862-248 267, e-mail:npostadvt@gmail.com

QUICK LINKS

SUNDAY POST

Join us on

© Nagaland Post 2018. All Rights are Reserved
Designed by : 4C Plus