International

Sri Lanka cancels weekend masses over fresh attack fears

Colombo, May 2 (IANS) | Publish Date: 5/2/2019 1:22:49 PM IST

Sri Lankan authorities have cancelled weekend masses in the capital because of fears of fresh bomb attacks.

The Archdiocese of Colombo spokesman Fr. Edmond Tilakaratne said a fresh decision was made by Archbishop of Colombo Cardinal Malcolm Ranjith to cancel the masses on Saturday and Sunday based on the latest security reports, the Sri Lankan media reported.
Tilakaratne said that the services were cancelled after the government warned of “more possible attacks by the same Islamic State-linked group that carried out the Easter suicide bombings”. 
He said that the Catholic Church will issue a further notice on the masses later, the Daily Mirror reported. The Cardinal had earlier instructed the churches to have a limited number of masses on May 5, but not to have evening services.
The churches in Colombo and suburbs have been closed since the April 21 deadly Easter Sunday bomb attacks which killed 253 people.

Launched on December 3,1990. Nagaland Post is the first and highest circulated newspaper of Nagaland state. Nagaland Post is also the first newspaper in Nagaland to be published in multi-colour.

Desk:+91-3862-248 489, e-mail: npdesk@gmail.com Fax: +91-3862-248 500
Advt.:+91-3862-248 267, e-mail:npostadvt@gmail.com

QUICK LINKS

SUNDAY POST

Join us on

© Nagaland Post 2018. All Rights are Reserved
Designed by : 4C Plus