Regional

Surge of COVID-19 continues, situation not conducive in Meghalaya

Surge of COVID-19 continues, situation not conducive in Meghalaya
Check point at Byrnihat in Ri Bhoi of Meghalaya.
Correspondent Shillong, Jul 7 | Publish Date: 7/7/2020 11:43:43 AM IST

The surge of COVID-19 cases in Meghalaya continued for the second straight day on Tuesday, with six new cases including two from the Indian Air Force and a Border Security Force (BSF) trooper taking the total number of active cases in the State to 50. The Meghalaya government has described the prevailing health situation in the State is “not conducive”.

Health and Family Welfare Minister A.L. Hek informed that the six who tested positive, include two air warriors from the Indian Air Force and one BSF trooper.  “Six returnees (2 Air Force and 1 BSF) who came from Karnataka, USA, Rajasthan, Kolkata have tested positive in Shillong,” Hek said. 

“In total, there are 23 BSF personnel who are COVID 19 positive in the State as of now,” Hek said, adding that so far 865 samples have been tested from the BSF Composite Hospital, Umpling, Shillong. Giving a break-up of COVID 19 cases in district wise, Hek said East Khasi Hills has 29, Ri-Bhoi - 15, South West Garo Hills - 2, East Jaintia Hills district- 1, West Garo Hills -3.

Deputy Chief Minister Prestone Tynsong said that the situation is not conducive in the State and if it worsens or continues to be grave, the State government will be left with no other option other than re-imposing lockdown, even as he allayed fears of community transmission.

“If situation worsens or continues to be grim, I think we will have no option (but to reimpose lockdown),” he said.

The Deputy Chief Minister appealed to the citizens of the state to desist from becoming exposed unnecessarily.

“The situation is not conducive. Therefore, I request each and every citizen to kindly refrain themselves to any unnecessary exposure,” he cautioned.

It may be mentioned that over the last week there has been a surge in COVID-19 cases in Meghalaya.

On Monday, the State recorded the highest single day spike with 16 new cases.

With six new cases as of Tuesday evening, Meghalaya has a total of 95 detected cases comprising 50 active, 2 deceased and 43 recovered. 

Infant dies in Meghalaya

Meghalaya recorded its second COVID-19 death after an  eight-month-old baby died on Monday, even as the State registered the highest single day spike in Meghalaya on Monday  with 16 new active COVID-19 cases detected.  The first death recorded in the State  on April 15 was of a physician who succumbed to the virulent virus in less than 48 hours. 

Health and Family Welfare Minister Alexander Laloo Hek said that the infant was referred to North Eastern Indira Gandhi Regional Institute of Health and Medical Sciences (NEIGRIHMS) hospital in Shillong from Tomo Riba Institute of Health and Medical Sciences in Arunachal Pradesh for treatment of a different ailment. 

“On their arrival in the early hours of Monday morning, the swab samples of the baby and his parents and the driver were collected and sent for testing. 

Unfortunately, the baby boy tested positive for COVID-19 on arrival and died later in the evening,” Hek said.  He added that the swab samples of the parents of the infant and the driver tested negative for COVID-19. 

“The infant boy had earlier this year been admitted in NEIGRIHMS but had returned to Arunachal Pradesh before nation-wide lockdown was clamped,” he said. 

Furthermore, Hek informed that 16 more persons, out of which ten are Border Security Force (BSF) troopers, have tested positive for COVID-19 in the State as on Monday.  “A total of 220 high risk contacts of BSF were tested. 210 have tested negative and ten positive,” he said. 

Hek also said that two persons got infected with the virus after attending a wedding ceremony at Greenwood Resort in Guwahati recently. “Out of the 41 people who had attended the wedding at Greenwood Resort, swab samples of 38 individuals have tested negative for COVID-19,” Hek said. 

A woman who had returned to Tura, the district headquarters of West Garo Hills from Guwahati in Assam, tested positive for the viral infection on her arrival and three more persons has tested positive for the same in Ri Bhoi district, the health minister informed.

Meghalaya so far has registered 80 COVID-19 cases, which includes 44 active cases and two deaths, while 43 have recovered from the viral infection. 


-Tags:#COVID-19

Launched on December 3,1990. Nagaland Post is the first and highest circulated newspaper of Nagaland state. Nagaland Post is also the first newspaper in Nagaland to be published in multi-colour.

Desk:+91-3862-248 489, e-mail: npdesk@gmail.com Fax: +91-3862-248 500
Advt.:+91-3862-248 267, e-mail:npostadvt@gmail.com

QUICK LINKS

SUNDAY POST

Join us on

© Nagaland Post 2018. All Rights are Reserved
Designed by : 4C Plus