International

Syria condemns White Helmets evacuation

London, Jul 23 (Agencies) | Publish Date: 7/24/2018 12:38:54 AM IST
The Syrian government has condemned the evacuation over the weekend of the White Helmets civil defence group from a war zone in the south of the country, BBC reported.
Damascus described the move, carried out by Israel, as a “criminal operation” by “Israel and its tools”. Some 422 volunteers and family members were taken to Jordan via the Israeli-occupied Golan Heights. It was feared that they would be persecuted by advancing government forces in southern Syria.
Responding to the move on Monday, Syria’s foreign ministry said that “words of condemnation are not enough to denounce this despicable act”.
It added that the White Helmets supported “terrorists” and that the world had been warned of the group’s “dangers”, according to Syria’s state news agency Sana. Syrian President Bashar al-Assad’s administration regards the White Helmets as agents of Western powers. His supporters, and his Russian allies, say the volunteers support the rebels and also have links to jihadist groups.
But Mr Assad’s opponents see them as heroes for their rescue work in bombed, rebel-held cities.
The White Helmets describe themselves as a volunteer workforce that acts to save people in Syria’s war zones. The Israel Defense Forces (IDF) said they were acting on a request from the US, the UK and other European nations.
The White Helmets had become trapped in an area of south-western Syria near the border with the Golan Heights after an offensive by the Syrian military.
The offensive, which began in June, has seen a number of agreements that have led to the evacuation of rebel forces from the Deraa and Quneitra areas to regions further north.
The White Helmets operate only in rebel-held areas, although they say they are non-partisan.
The evacuees were driven to the border with the Golan Heights and taken on from there by Israeli troops to Jordan.
The plan had been to evacuate 800 White Helmets and their families, but only 422 made it.
The BBC’s Mark Lowen said that others had been hemmed in by the expansion of the Islamic State group into pockets of south-west Syria and, as this was a one-off operation, fears remain for the fate of those left behind.

Launched on December 3,1990. Nagaland Post is the first and highest circulated newspaper of Nagaland state. Nagaland Post is also the first newspaper in Nagaland to be published in multi-colour.

Phone:+91-3862-248 489,Fax: +91-3862-248 500
Advt.:+91-3862-2482 267, e-mail:npostadvt@gmail.com

QUICK LINKS

SUNDAY POST

Join us on

© Nagaland Post 2018. All Rights are Reserved
Designed by : 4C Plus