International

Trump threatens to deport immigrants

Trump threatens to deport immigrants
Donald Trump (File)
Washington, Jun 18 (IANS) | Publish Date: 6/18/2019 11:22:34 AM IST

US President Donald Trump has said that immigration enforcement authorities would begin deporting millions of undocumented migrants from the country in the coming week. 

Trump however, did not provide further details on the immigrants who would be affected by the mass removal, reports Efe news. “Next week ICE (Immigration and Customs Enforcement) will begin the process of removing the millions of illegal aliens who have illicitly found their way into the United States,” Trump tweeted on Monday. 

“They will be removed as fast as they come in. 

“Mexico, using their strong immigration laws, is doing a very good job of stopping people,” Trump added, before claiming that Guatemala was getting ready to sign a so-called “Safe-Third Agreement.” 

With this agreement, the US would be able to send asylum seekers from other countries to Guatemala.

A similar deal is being worked on with Mexico, although the latter has so far refused to agree to the proposal. 

Trump went on to attack his political rivals, members of the Democratic Party who oppose his aggressive rhetoric and hardline policy on immigration, which is expected to be a central issue in the upcoming 2020 presidential campaign. 

“The only ones who won’t do anything are the Democrats in Congress,” he tweeted. 

“They must vote to get rid of the loopholes, and fix asylum! If so, Border Crisis will end quickly!” 

In early June, the US and Mexico agreed that the former will be able to deport to Mexico all Central American asylum-seekers who have illegally crossed the border.

Hundreds of thousands of immigrants have reached the country in the last few months in record numbers, continuing the rising trend that has marked Trump’s time in office so far. 

According to the estimates submitted by the Trump administration, the migratory influx was set to reach a million people this financial year.

The US detained more than 132,000 immigrants in May at its southern border, a 30 per cent increase compared to April and the largest figure recorded in a single month since 2006.

The majority of these immigrants belong to Central American families who voluntarily turn themselves in to border officials and formally seek asylum, a humanitarian framework that allows them to be released and obtain temporary residence and work permits.

ICE and the US Customs and Border Protection agency have come under scrutiny by human rights groups and activists for the treatment of asylum-seekers and apprehended aliens and the conditions they endure at detention centres.

According to a data investigation by NBC news published on June 9, at least 24 immigrants have died in ICE custody during the Trump administration. 

US stops aid to 3 Central American nations over immigrants

The US has stopped providing new funds to the three Central American nations of El Salvador, Guatemala, and Honduras, also known as the Northern Triangle governments, accusing their failure in managing the immigration issue, the State Department said.

“We will not provide new funds for programmes in those countries until we are satisfied the Northern Triangle governments are taking concrete actions to reduce the number of illegal migrants coming to the US border,” Xinhua news agency quoted State Department spokesperson Morgan Ortagus as saying on Monday.

“Working with Congress, we will reprogramme those funds to other priorities as appropriate,” she added. President Donald Trump’s administration would reallocate $370 million in aid to Central America, which lawmakers had approved for the fiscal year 2018, and suspend an additional $180 million that Congress had approved for the fiscal year 2017, according to media reports.

A fiscal year in the US begins on October 1 and ends on September 30 in the following year.

Complaining that the Northern Triangle governments did “nothing” on illegal immigration after taking US aids, Trump in March ordered the cut-off of all direct aids to the three Central American countries, which drew criticism from both Republican and Democratic lawmakers.


-Tags:#Trump

Launched on December 3,1990. Nagaland Post is the first and highest circulated newspaper of Nagaland state. Nagaland Post is also the first newspaper in Nagaland to be published in multi-colour.

Desk:+91-3862-248 489, e-mail: npdesk@gmail.com Fax: +91-3862-248 500
Advt.:+91-3862-2482 267, e-mail:npostadvt@gmail.com

QUICK LINKS

SUNDAY POST

Join us on

© Nagaland Post 2018. All Rights are Reserved
Designed by : 4C Plus