State

Unfair for Therie to make personal attacks on Rio: NDPP

DIMAPUR, JUN 19 (NPN) | Publish Date: 6/19/2020 1:01:38 PM IST

Nationalist Democratic Progressive Party (NDPP) said it was unfair on the part of NPCC led by K Therie to make personal attacks on chief minister Neiphiu Rio when the State Congress chief’s own record was far from satisfactory. 

In a statement, the ruling party recalled that Therie was dropped as a cabinet minister from the Congress ministry in 2002 for his non-performance and misappropriation of funds and later even expelled from Congress for “anti-party” activities.

He then joined NPF and became finance minister under Rio. But history repeated itself when circumstances compelled Rio to drop him from the council of ministers for his non-performance and fund misappropriations.

NDPP stated that it was under Therie’s stewardship as finance minister when the Nagaland government was given a generous grant of Rs 365 crore to wipe out accumulated deficit carried over from the Congress ministry in 2003 by the then Union government under the Prime Ministership of Atal Bihari Vajpayee. 

However, his handling of the grant and management of the State’s finances were rejected outright by then opposition Congress, which had demanded a white paper on Rs 365 crore. 

“Therie’s tabling of white paper was rejected by Congress and till today his own party has refused to accept his explanation,” the statement added.

Subsequently he was dropped from the Rio ministry and later pulled up for anti-party activities. Now, he had come full circle with his return to Congress and his leadership landed this grand old party with no seat in Nagaland Legislative Assembly, the ruling party stated.  

Reminding the state Congress party that the members of COVID Working Committee were giving daily update on the status of pandemic in the State, NDPP said to accuse the chief minister of failing to “instil confidence in the people” was nothing but taking cheap pot shots at Rio, which was unbecoming of a political party of the stature of NPCC.

It asked the Congress State unit to refrain from taking advantage of the current global pandemic by making personalised attacks on Rio and his government.

The ruling party asserted that the State government should be commended for trying its best to provide “maximum with the minimum” it had at its disposal. 

As 70% of the State’s finances went into paying salaries and pensions and the State lacked any source of income to supplement the huge funds going to pay its employees, NDPP said any government would struggle to bring development with the remaining 30% of the funds available. 

“However, the NDPP-led PDA government is doing to its best to provide the needs of the people. The vast improvement in roads and other infrastructure are testaments of the government’s commitment to work for the people under the banner ‘Development for all; Together with all’,” the statement claimed.


-Tags:#NDPP

Launched on December 3,1990. Nagaland Post is the first and highest circulated newspaper of Nagaland state. Nagaland Post is also the first newspaper in Nagaland to be published in multi-colour.

Desk:+91-3862-248 489, e-mail: npdesk@gmail.com Fax: +91-3862-248 500
Advt.:+91-3862-248 267, e-mail:npostadvt@gmail.com

QUICK LINKS

SUNDAY POST

Join us on

© Nagaland Post 2018. All Rights are Reserved
Designed by : 4C Plus