State

Wildlife crime bureau warns poachers

Correspondent KOHIMA, APR 21 (NPN) | Publish Date: 4/21/2020 12:07:21 PM IST

Following the videos and photos of hunters posing with slain wildlife went viral on social media platforms, the state wildlife crime bureau has cautioned that strict action would be initiated against the defaulters. 

Wildlife crime bureau in-charge, Tokaho Kinimi, said that recent video of individuals with slain python was traced to Zunheboto district, but there was delay in reaching out to them due to the lockdown. Tokaho said another video had been traced to Nihoshe village under Aghunato sub-division.

He said that both cases were under investigation and those responsible would be penalised under Wildlife Protection Act 1972. Stating that there was an increase in wildlife hunting activities due to the lockdown, the bureau in charge has, however, affirmed that strict action would be taken against any law breaker.

4 suspects surrender 

State department of Environment, Forests and Climate Change Tuesday informed that the four suspects, who were seen celebrating ‘lockdown festival’ in a viral video that depicted “ruthless killing” of wild animals including Barking deer and large Indian civet cat had surrendered.

In a statement, the chief wildlife warden said that the four suspects identified as Imchainba of Longkhum village, Osungkum N Jamir of Unger village, Yanger Jamir of Unger village and Opangtemsu of Asangma village surrendered before wildlife wing of the department on April 21, 2020.

According to the chief wildlife warden, the suspects surrendered after the department conducted investigation into the incident and zeroed down on the suspects seen in the video. 

Meanwhile, Wildlife conservationist Rüvuotuo Belho, who owns mini zoo in Kohima, lamented the killing of wildlife by some people despite the government orders warning of serious action. He said that lockdown should not be an excuse to kill the animals and flaunt them on social media platforms. 

Kohima village youth organisation (KVYO) stated that the village was keeping a strict vigil on all the hunters and people moving around its jurisdiction without valid reason. 

Kigwema village community reserve, which had been keeping a check on hunting, has also cautioned that strict actions would be taken against the defaulters. 

 

Launched on December 3,1990. Nagaland Post is the first and highest circulated newspaper of Nagaland state. Nagaland Post is also the first newspaper in Nagaland to be published in multi-colour.

Desk:+91-3862-248 489, e-mail: npdesk@gmail.com Fax: +91-3862-248 500
Advt.:+91-3862-248 267, e-mail:npostadvt@gmail.com

QUICK LINKS

SUNDAY POST

Join us on

© Nagaland Post 2018. All Rights are Reserved
Designed by : 4C Plus