Sports

Zverev slams final-set tie-breaks

Melbourne, Dec 27 (Agencies) | Publish Date: 12/27/2018 11:03:53 AM IST

Alexander Zverev has criticised Australian Open organisers for introducing final-set tie-breaks, claiming players were not consulted and it deprived the tournament of “something special”.

Organisers have decided to follow Wimbledon in abandoning the advantage final set at the opening Grand Slam of the season in Melbourne next month.
Should matches reach 6-6 in the fifth set, the winner will be the first player to reach 10 points.
Tournament director Craig Tiley said last week consultation had been sought by current, ex-players, commentators, agents and TV analysts but Zverev is not behind the move. “We weren’t (consulted) at all. I don’t think any players were (asked), to be honest,” Zverev told The Australian newspaper.
“I don’t like the change too much because I think it has something special when you go 12-10 in the fifth set, or something like that. I really enjoyed those kind of situations, really enjoy those kind of matches, even though they are physically tough.”
The French Open is now the only slam still decided by a traditional long deciding set, with the US Open the first Grand Slam to introduce final-set tie-breaks, with a first-to-seven-points game played at 6-6, meaning the four tournaments will all use a different format.
Tiley insisted the choice of the longer 10-point final-set tiebreak would “ensure the fans still get a special finale to these often epic contests”. Wimbledon announced in October it would use a standard first-to-seven-points tie-break at 12-12 in the final set from 2019.

Launched on December 3,1990. Nagaland Post is the first and highest circulated newspaper of Nagaland state. Nagaland Post is also the first newspaper in Nagaland to be published in multi-colour.

Desk:+91-3862-248 489, e-mail: npdesk@gmail.com Fax: +91-3862-248 500
Advt.:+91-3862-2482 267, e-mail:npostadvt@gmail.com
© Nagaland Post 2018. All Rights are Reserved
Designed by : 4C Plus