Regional

22 more test positive for COVID-19 in M’laya

Correspondent Shillong, Aug 5 | Publish Date: 8/5/2020 12:47:58 PM IST

Twenty-two more persons, mostly civilians and one Border Security Force (BSF) trooper, tested positive for COVID as on Wednesday morning in Meghalaya, taking the total number of active cases in the State to 595.

Director of Health Services, Dr Aman War said that out of the 22 new cases, 19 were from East Khasi Hills district and all were civilians, including high-risk contacts of positive patients in Shillong besides three returnees.

One BSF personnel in West Garo Hills district and two civilians in South West Garo Hills district also tested positive for the viral infection, he informed.

Out of the 595 active COVID19 cases in the state as of now, War said East Khasi Hills district has 487, which include 188 BSF troopers, 241 civilians and 58 Armed Force personnel.

In other districts, West Khasi Hills has 5, Ri-Bhoi-51, West Jaintia Hills-16, East Jaintia Hills-17, West Garo Hills-15 while South West Garo Hills and South Garo Hills have 2 cases each. So far 39,553 samples have been sent for testing out of which 38,062 results were negative while the outcomes of 552 were awaited.

War informed that nine patients, including two civilians, two from Armed Force and one BSF trooper from East Khasi Hills and four civilians from Ri-Bhoi district have recovered from the viral infection, taking the overall recoveries to 339 as on Wednesday evening.

On the other hand, the Meghalaya government has issued a new  set of standard operating procedure for micro-management of  containment area of any particular locality or street following detection of COVID-19 positive case in the area.

The micro containment zone could be declared when there is more than one case emerging from an urban locality/village or no traveI or contact reasons attributable to the cases that are emerging from the areas and there is a medical opinion on the need for declaring a containment zone to prevent any further spread of the disease.

“The strategy would be to contain COVID-19 within a defined geographical area by early detection breaking the chain of transmission and thus preventing spread to new areas,” Commissioner and Secretary for Health and Family Welfare, P. Sampath Kumar stated in his order.

“This would include geographical quarantine, social distancing measures enhanced active surveillance, testing all suspected cases, isolation of cases/home quarantine, social mobilization to follow preventive public health measures,” he said, adding that the District Rapid Response Teams/Surveillance Units would undertake mapping long with the active surveillance by ASHA workers Anganwadi workers/community management teams. 


-Tags:#COVID-19

Launched on December 3,1990. Nagaland Post is the first and highest circulated newspaper of Nagaland state. Nagaland Post is also the first newspaper in Nagaland to be published in multi-colour.

Desk:+91-3862-248 489, e-mail: npdesk@gmail.com Fax: +91-3862-248 500
Advt.:+91-3862-248 267, e-mail:npostadvt@gmail.com

QUICK LINKS

SUNDAY POST

Join us on

© Nagaland Post 2018. All Rights are Reserved
Designed by : 4C Plus